"Several Popes and More" Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon by rexvaughan
Avignon Travel Guide: 505 reviews and 1,483 photos
As soon as you leave the train station and see this magnificent old wall and gate, you know you are entering an old city of some importance and influence and Avignon does not disappoint. I had a vague knowledge of the "Babylonian Captivity" of the papacy here but did not realize that the place has been inhabited for 6000 years! Evidently some folks called the Chaseens in the Neolithic Era settled on the Rocher des Domes about 4000 BC. I have not been able to find out anything about them, but they certainly picked a spot with a magnificen view!
Of course we are in Provence so it is not surprising to find lots of blooming things and lovely scenes like this one. It is in the middle of the gardens just above the Plais des Papes overlooking the Rhone.
The city is a vibrant and lively place today, doublessly due at least in part to the attraction of tourists. However, there is a reason places like this attract such crowds - it is lovely and historic. The picture here shows a very narrow street running just along side the Palais des Papes and for me captures some of the ancient ambience that one can feel even around the crowds, trams and merry-go-rounds. Streets like this are the reason it is always good to put away the tour books and just wander. It proves once again the validity of my "Yogi Berra Rule": You can see a lot by observing!
- Pros:Great architecture and history
- Cons:Lots of tourists and some "touristy" shops
- In a nutshell:A Medieval Jewel
This great park on top of the hill is a wonderful and relaxing place. It is very well landscaped and preserved. This... more travel advice
This garden borders the path up the hill to the Parc Rocher des Doms. I love gardening and am always amazed and... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Avignon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Dilettante & Demoiselles of Avignon"
- "Enchanting Avignon!"
- "Avignon - Cité des papes et du théâtre"
- "Several Popes and More"
- "Beautiful Architecture, Romans, Popes, Arts..."
- "The Papacy of Avignon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avignon
- Hotels in Avignon
- Transportation in Avignon
- Nightlife in Avignon
- Restaurants in Avignon
- Shopping in Avignon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avignon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avignon
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Avignon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avignon
Photos in AvignonSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 92 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue