"Several Popes and More" Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon by rexvaughan

Avignon Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,183 photos

Welcome to Avignon!

As soon as you leave the train station and see this magnificent old wall and gate, you know you are entering an old city of some importance and influence and Avignon does not disappoint. I had a vague knowledge of the "Babylonian Captivity" of the papacy here but did not realize that the place has been inhabited for 6000 years! Evidently some folks called the Chaseens in the Neolithic Era settled on the Rocher des Domes about 4000 BC. I have not been able to find out anything about them, but they certainly picked a spot with a magnificen view!

Beauty and serentiy all around

Of course we are in Provence so it is not surprising to find lots of blooming things and lovely scenes like this one. It is in the middle of the gardens just above the Plais des Papes overlooking the Rhone.

The city is a vibrant and lively place today, doublessly due at least in part to the attraction of tourists. However, there is a reason places like this attract such crowds - it is lovely and historic. The picture here shows a very narrow street running just along side the Palais des Papes and for me captures some of the ancient ambience that one can feel even around the crowds, trams and merry-go-rounds. Streets like this are the reason it is always good to put away the tour books and just wander. It proves once again the validity of my "Yogi Berra Rule": You can see a lot by observing!

• Pros:Great architecture and history
  • Cons:Lots of tourists and some "touristy" shops
  • In a nutshell:A Medieval Jewel
  • Last visit to Avignon: Oct 2003
  • Intro Written Aug 3, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I've enjoyed your page on this wonderful old city. Would love to be able to see it for myself.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I hope to visit Avignon later this year, because the German and French railways have promised to start a new direct high-speed train service between Frankfurt and Marseille, stopping in Avignon.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Lovely write up, Rex! I look forward to putting your excellent advice into practice! Regards cathy

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Cute trams there Rex :o) Thanks for the great tips too! Looking forward to visiting after the big Paris meet next year! Cheers, Ann.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Ha,ha- it's been 45 years since my visit to Avignon! xx

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 11:19 PM

Great tips! We visited earlier the same year, and enjoyed it immensely!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 7:08 AM

We did sing that song in Poland in my youth. Charming place, loved the narrow streets and the park. Excellent photos and useful tips.

• hundwalder's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2005 at 8:45 AM

More outstanding tips about places I hope to visit if the dollar ever climbs out of the currency exchange sewer pipe. I believe that the Peruvian ensemble you heard has groups all over Europe.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 6:12 PM

Very accurate info on Avignon Rex ! Pope news is a topic this days. Glad to see that so many people are still believing in reunion and friendship above all politics and religion

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 3:59 PM

I didn't sing that song about pont d' Avignon either! Are we the only two? :) BTW, if I were an Andes musician, I'd find my way to Avignon as well! Again, really nice hotel tips-how do you manage to find nice and inexpensive hotels?

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Avignon

Have you been to Avignon?

Latest Activity in Avignon