"Home of Miss Liberty" Colmar by rexvaughan
Colmar Travel Guide: 309 reviews and 951 photos
This little city has suffered with the whole of Alsace as the Germans and the French have both claimed the province several times. However, its beauty caused the Allied Forces to avoid bombing it during WWII. Colmar is home to a very famous man whose name is usually not recognized. Do you know who Frederic Auguste Bartholdi is? He is the creator of the Statue of Liberty as well as the fountain to the right. It is in the large park, Champ de Mars, and features Admiral Bruet, a local hero who was commander of the fleet during the Crimean War. That is him on the pedestal, not the clown standing in front.
These houses lining the smalll canal are part of what is known as La Petite Venice. It is not far from the Tanners Quarter and they are some of the lovliest and most romantic areas of the city. It is a popular tourist area but most clear out in the evenings.
Behind this lovely plaza is the Unterlinden Museum. The museum is housed in a 13th Century former Dominican convent and houses a pretty extensive and eclectic collection including works by Schongauer and Gruenwald. The highlight is Gruenwald's Isenheim Altarpiece.
- Pros:Lots of local color and great small museums
- Cons:Can't get there often enough
- In a nutshell:Cosy, Lovely and Scenic
This is a relatively small but world class museum with a wide range of exhibits from Roman times, paintings and wine... more travel advice
In some ways the most impressive building in Colmar, St. Martin's dominates the Place de la Cathedrale with its steeple... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Colmar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweet Little Colmar"
- "Colmar - Ideal Day Trip From Strasbourg"
- "Our favoured Alsatian city"
- "Colmar - German influence in France"
- "Colmar, capital of the former Décapole"
- "Home of Miss Liberty"
- "Colours of Colmar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colmar
- Hotels in Colmar
- Transportation in Colmar
- Nightlife in Colmar
- Restaurants in Colmar
- Shopping in Colmar
- Warnings and Dangers in Colmar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colmar
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Colmar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colmar
Photos in ColmarSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos