"Jewel of the Rance" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinan by rexvaughan

Dinan Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 259 photos

Time honored timepiece

Staying in St. Malo, we decided to see what Dinan had to offer in a short day. I wish we had spent two days there. This charming old city is full of half-timbered buildings, a lot of them extending out over porches where there are restaurants, shops, etc. One of the hallmarks of the city is the Tour de L'Horloge (Clock Tower) which dates from the 15th C. and has sounded alarms, feast days, curfew and today stands over the same but changed busy streets.

This old building is on the narrow cobbled street leading to the Clock Tower. It was built in 1559 and had some reconstruction done in 1938. Note the lovely half-timbered construction and if you enlarge the photo you can see the carved figures near the top of the upright wooden beams.

There is lots of wonderful architecture. This photo is of the basilica, 11th to 16th C. The expansion of the church during the Golden Age of Dinan took 150 years. Behind it is an English style garden.

• Pros:Eye-catching beauty, wonderful history
  • In a nutshell:The Jewel of the Rance
  • Last visit to Dinan: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2011 at 10:45 PM

What a lovely page! Dinan sounds just gorgeous to me. Your photo's are great!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 8:35 PM

You've sold me! Lovely stuff.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Rex, how lovely this Dinan is; your descriptions are enticing. Loved the Quay, the old/new bridges, the castle, the St. Saviour's Church, but I especially admired the cobbled streets and stone houses. Marvelous.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for the sneak preview of Dinan Rex!! I will be checking it out for myself next week : )

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Looks absolutely beautiful. Our only experience of France was travelling through on our way overland to and from Greece. Spent nearly a week in various campsites and loved what we saw. We MUST return.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2004 at 2:16 PM

It was a great pleasure for me to revisit St.Malo and Dinan throughout your superb page. Greets.

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Dinan