"Jewel of the Rance" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinan by rexvaughan
Dinan Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 233 photos
Staying in St. Malo, we decided to see what Dinan had to offer in a short day. I wish we had spent two days there. This charming old city is full of half-timbered buildings, a lot of them extending out over porches where there are restaurants, shops, etc. One of the hallmarks of the city is the Tour de L'Horloge (Clock Tower) which dates from the 15th C. and has sounded alarms, feast days, curfew and today stands over the same but changed busy streets.
This old building is on the narrow cobbled street leading to the Clock Tower. It was built in 1559 and had some reconstruction done in 1938. Note the lovely half-timbered construction and if you enlarge the photo you can see the carved figures near the top of the upright wooden beams.
There is lots of wonderful architecture. This photo is of the basilica, 11th to 16th C. The expansion of the church during the Golden Age of Dinan took 150 years. Behind it is an English style garden.
- Pros:Eye-catching beauty, wonderful history
- In a nutshell:The Jewel of the Rance
Visit the quiet (at least in October) and picturesque Dinan Port or Quay where the town started centuries ago. Here is a... more travel advice
This ancient cobbled street just arrested my attention due to it aged look and charming old stone houses with the... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Dinan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dinan - Beautiful Medieval town"
- "Jewel of the Rance"
- "A beautiful medieval town"
- "An Old Walled Town in A Pleasant Setting"
- "A mediaevel Town on the River Rance"
- "A LOVELY MEDIEVAL CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinan
- Hotels in Dinan
- Transportation in Dinan
- Restaurants in Dinan
- Shopping in Dinan
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dinan
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Dinan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinan
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos