"Picture perfect Honfleur" Top 5 Page for this destination Honfleur by rexvaughan
Honfleur Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 446 photos
You probably can't go wrong visiting the places that were favorites of Monet and the Impressionists. Honfleur was such a popular locationl that there was even a school of painting named for it. It is really a postcard waiting to happen with its lovely basin full of boats and surrounded by high, skinny and colorful houses, seemingly with a restaurant in the front of each one. No wonder the early and pre-impressionists came to paint them many times over and that has not stopped. You will see artists at work today trying to capture the color and light.
Its beauty is not its only claim to fame however. For centuries Honfleur was a major port, sitting in the ideal convergence of the Seine and the English Channel. It was from here that Champlain sailed in 1608 on his way to discovering the St. Lawrence Waterway. It was also a base for Newfoundland fishermen. As salt was a valuable commodity in preserving the fish, it was highly priced and taxed and there are two old "greniers a sel" or warehouses which could store 10,000 tons of salt. They have been preserved and now are venues for concerts, exhibitions, etc.
We were fortunate in that the weekend we were there was the annual "Fete de la Crevette et de la Peche" or festival of shrimp and fish. This is still an active fishing port and they celebrated the weekend with food vendors selling the fresh seafood, concerts, parades of ships from the basin and a magnificent fireworks display which was wonderful and enhanced by being done beside the water so you got reflections of the show as well.
- Pros:Small but rich in beauty
- Cons:Lots of tourists
- In a nutshell:An idyllic village
You probably know that Calvados is a department in the region of Haute (or upper) Normandy. It is one of the few that... more travel advice
You have to admire a bridge that will accomodate four lanes of heavy traffic and two pedestrian lanes, but looks like a... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Honfleur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Picture perfect Honfleur"
- "Don't miss Honfleur"
- "Artsy Charm on the Coast"
- "Honfleur weekend"
- "Honfleur, a Pisturesque Village"
- "Making quite an impression"
- "nice beautiful port city of many painters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honfleur
- Hotels in Honfleur
- Transportation in Honfleur
- Nightlife in Honfleur
- Restaurants in Honfleur
- Shopping in Honfleur
- Warnings and Dangers in Honfleur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honfleur
- 15 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Honfleur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honfleur
Photos in HonfleurSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 92 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue