"Not just Cornish pasties" Cornwall by rexvaughan
Cornwall Travel Guide: 1,650 reviews and 4,126 photos
Cornwall is a different part of the UK from the rest as far as I can determine. Its economy has suffered in the past century and decades leaving it one of the poorer areas in England. This is not evident to the visitor as what we see are quaint little cities, magnificent seaside views and beaches and lovely moors. Historically it was a thriving mining area with tin, copper and clay for chinaware in abundance. This industry is virtually gone now as the result of depletion of resources and mechanization. I read that even the fishing industry has declined due to EU regulations. I have no idea how this works. Now one of the major industries is tourism with about 5 million people (mostly from the UK) a year visiting its beaches, gardens, surfing sites and wooded vallelys.
The area of Cornwall is only about 3500 square miles and the population is pretty well dispersed throughout as the 500,000+ population is spread pretty evenly among the 6 districts or areas of the county. Truro is the "county seat" with a population of just over 20,000. The population is also pretty English (about 97%) with few minorities. The population also tends to be older due to the migration of the young for greener grass and the growing popularity of Cornwall as a retirement destination. Having said all that, the people we encountered were all pretty bright and cheery and very helpful.
One of the things that struck me as odd was the number of towns, particularly in the area surrounding Newquay, with the word "goon" in their name. Of course I had to look it up (thank you Mr. Google) and found it means meadow. So Gwyrgoon would mean green meadow. Evidently Cornwall, like a host of other locales, is seeing efforts to preserve and revive the ancient Cornish/Celtic language.
It is a truly wonderful place to visit, as all those 5 million Brits attest. Seems to be something here for everyone.
- Pros:Compact, not much traffic, small cities
- Cons:Narrow roads, driving on the left for non-UKers is strange
- In a nutshell:Rich variety of activites and sites for all ages & interests
If you have any interest in Cornwall family histories and genaeology, there are two places in Truro that will be of... more travel advice
Since returning home from Cornwall, my wife has read and I am reading 'A Cornish Childhood' by the distinguished... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Cornwall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Putting the "corn" back in Cornwall"
- "Pixies, cream teas and a beautiful blue sea"
- "The End of England"
- "Cornwall - picturesque and friendly"
- "Just Beautiful!"
- "Kernow Istorek (Historic Cornwall)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cornwall
- Hotels in Cornwall
- Transportation in Cornwall
- Nightlife in Cornwall
- Restaurants in Cornwall
- Shopping in Cornwall
- Warnings and Dangers in Cornwall
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cornwall
- 10 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Cornwall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cornwall
- Posted in Travel Atlanta Forum "Re: Moving to Atlanta looking for..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great inn in North Cornwall"
- Wrote a Review Family History sources in Cornwall Off The Beaten Path
- created a Cornwall Travel Page "Not just Cornish pasties"
- Commented on one of iandsmith's Cornwall travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos
Top Cornwall hotels
- Newquay Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 269 Photos
- Saint Ives Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 300 Photos
- West Looe Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Penzance Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 211 Photos
- Falmouth Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Bodmin Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 132 Photos
- Truro Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 90 Photos
- Bude Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Perranporth Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 51 Photos
- Fowey Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Tintagel Hotels
- 60 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Saint Austell Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 218 Photos
- Mevagissey Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Saint Just-in-Penwith Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Mousehole Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 56 Photos