"Memphis - an ancient capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis by fonden
Memphis Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 86 photos
Memphis was the ancient capital of the Old Kingdom of Egypt from its foundation until around 1300 BC. The city was founded around 3100 BC by Menes of Tanis, who united the two kingdoms of Egypt. The ruins of Memphis are located 19 km south of Cairo, on the west bank of the Nile.
The city has troughout the years been abandoned and became a source of stone for the surrounding settlements. It was still an imposing set of ruins in the 12th century but soon became little more than an expanse of low ruins and scattered stone. Palmtrees, fields and villages now cover the city that once was so glorious and powerful.
Not much has been found in Memphis but the ones who has been found are gathered in a small out-door museum in village of Mit-Rahina. The remains of the temple of Ptah and of Apis have been uncovered at the site as well as a few statues, including two four-metre ones in alabaster of Ramesses II.
Along with the Giza pyramids, Memphis was added to UNESCOs world heritage list in 1979.
Little is left of the ancient city of Memphis today, at least of what can be seen. Evidently the city had many fine... more travel advice
fonden's Related Pages
Memphis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Memphis - an ancient capital"
- ""The King" in Memphis"
- "Memphis, capital of Ancient Egypt"
- "Mit Rahina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Memphis
- Transportation in Memphis
- Restaurants in Memphis
- Shopping in Memphis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Memphis
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Memphis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Memphis
Photos in MemphisSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Hurghada Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saqqarah Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Mollösund Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Cairo Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Stenungsund Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Milan 3 reviews
- Göteborg 1 review, 1 photo
- Venice Intro, 1 photo