"Saqqarah" Top 5 Page for this destination Saqqarah by fonden
Saqqarah Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 246 photos
While Memphis was the capital of Ancient Egypt, Saqqarah served as its necropolis. Although it was eclipsed as the burial ground of royalty by Giza and, later, by the Valley of the Kings in Thebes, it remained an important complex for minor burials and cult ceremonies for more than 3,000 years, well into Ptolemaic and Roman times. The step pyramid at Saqqara was designed by Imhotep for King Djoser. It is the oldest complete hewn-stone building complex known in history.
If you're love history and walking around in the dessert (like me!) this is the place for you. Loads of things to see. I'll try to write about them all here on this page. But for now I've only written about the basics. It's a lot of history and names of kings and pharaos to keep track on so if possible try to find a guide who can take you up here. We got our guide, Adel, through our swedish travelagency. It also helps alot if you got access to a car or minibus. So I guide in a car is what you're gonna look for ;)
To become a guide in Egypt is very difficult and they have to go ot the university for many years. But it's good for you, because you'll get so much information and history, it's great!
South of Djoser's Pyramed is Una's Pyramid from the fifth dynasty. Nowadays this pyramid is now ruined, and looks more... more travel advice
fonden's Related Pages
Saqqarah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the valley of the dead"
- "Saqqarah- a splendid site"
- "The Oldest Stone Monument in the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saqqarah
- Transportation in Saqqarah
- Shopping in Saqqarah
- Warnings and Dangers in Saqqarah
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saqqarah
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Saqqarah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saqqarah
Top 10 Pages
- Hurghada Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saqqarah Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Mollösund Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Cairo Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Stenungsund Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Milan 3 reviews
- Göteborg 1 review, 1 photo
- Venice Intro, 1 photo