"Bregenz" Top 5 Page for this destination Bregenz by barbskie
Bregenz Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 365 photos
Bregenz, became the capital of Vorarlberg since 1923. The town is located on the Austrian Bodensee close to the borders of Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
Bregenz was the military fort and base of trade known as Brigantinum. Around 610 AD it was conquered and destroyed by the Allmanni. From the 10th century onwards Bregenz became the seat of Count Uldarichinger and started flourishing and extending in the 13th and 14th centuries. Bregenz was acquired by the Habsburgs in two halves one in 1451 and one in 1523. During the 18th to the 19th centuries the transport network was expanded enormously through rail and steamship connections.
With its location on the Bodensee and in the Alps, the town has a bi-seasonal tourism with people from all around the world staying in the town. The economy is dominated by small businesses, especially in the textile industry.
The Upper town district is the oldest, with buildings from the 13th through to the 16th century. In this part of town you can still find parts of the original fortifying town walls. The Martin's Tower is the landmark of Bregenz, a building with a late Roman core and mainly baroque style architecture. The fresco in the chapel dates back to 1362. A further very impressive building is the gothic parish church of St. Gall, with a Roman-Romanesque foundation dating from before 1380 and a Baroque altar.
The biggest cultural event is the Bregenz Festival in the summer, with operas and plays, held on a stage build on the Bodensee itself.
I'm not sure if this tip applies in the whole Austria. I will just share my experience here in Bregenz. We were at the... more travel advice
During our stroll, we have noticed that the city has many quick lunch counters. Not bad we thought, for those who are... more travel advice
barbskie's Related Pages
Bregenz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Bregenz"
- "My Bregenz-Home Sweet Home"
- "Bregenz: a fantastic town on the Lake Constance"
- "Bregenz - How to fall in love with a city"
- "City by the lake..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bregenz
- Hotels in Bregenz
- Transportation in Bregenz
- Nightlife in Bregenz
- Restaurants in Bregenz
- Shopping in Bregenz
- Warnings and Dangers in Bregenz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bregenz
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bregenz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bregenz
Photos in BregenzSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 117 reviews, 467 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torrevieja Intro, 58 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Torrelamata Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 28 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 16 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues