Kanton Basel-Stadt Things to Do Tips by barbskie
Kanton Basel-Stadt Things to Do: 14 reviews and 36 photos
The church beside the city's Opera House. This neo-gothic building is greyish and i find it gorgeous and amazing though it is not mentioned in many city guides. It is the first Protestant church built between 1857 and 1865.
The locals called it "Münster". A Gothic-Romanisque minster located on the Minster Hill or locally the "Münsterhügel". The walls are made of sandstones and multicolored roofs with two towers. There's no doubt as one of the best popular sight in Basel. One of the city's ancient buildings built dated back in the 11th century.
We took Tram # 14 and get off at the end of Mittlerebrücke (Middle Bridge). Then we took the direction St. Alban. A beautiful area to walk or relax for a while on one of the benches, enjoying the sights of the river and if the weather permits, we could also enjoy lingering under the sun.
A sightseeing tour on board the tram lines 15 and 16. It is an entertaining way of discovering the city of Basel, from the historic part to the modern side. A free break journey at any stop along the way to take a closer at the many interesting sights beyond the circuit of the lines. This tour is free for holders of Mobility Ticket(hotel guests), Green Pass or Day pass. Inquire at the Tourist Info Center or at your hotel.
CHF 4.20 for Adults
CHF 2.70 for Children
The largest of its kind in Europe. It houses the worlds largest collection of over 2’500 old teddy bears, many of which are already of a ripe old age and the oldest ones dating back to 1904. It is at the Barfüsserplatz (Steinevorstadt 1) in the heart of Basel, over 6’000 artistically-arranged objects are displayed on four floors of the museum, totalling 1’000m2 (ca. 11’000 sq.ft.). The exhibits date back to the beginning of the nineteenth century and reflect the styles of the day.
Actually, this tip belongs to my transportation tip but i prefer to include this in my "things to do" because the ferries is only commuting on the river. These are public mode of transports crossing from riverbank to the other without an engine. It is operated only with the power of the river’s current. I was really fascinated of this kind and decided not to take the tram back to the old city from Klein Basel. A ferry ride is a real pleasure for both the tourists and the locals. Take any of the four ferries: Wilde Maa, Leu, Vogel Gryff or Ueli. We took the "Boat Ueli" since we came walking from St. Alban part.
Price for a ride in CHF:
Directions: River side of: St. Alban , Münster, Klingental and St. Johann
As we came back from our riverside walk, we passed by this former city gate in the ancient city walls of Basel. Don't miss to go up to the remaining wall, you have a good viewpoint of the river Rhine and Klein Basel.
The largest river of Switzerland flowing from Andermatt, Chur, Schaffhausen, passing Zurich then Basel till Germany and the Netherlands to the North Sea. It is navigable from Amsterdam and river cruises are operating here. One of the popular in the European cruising business.
This area is dominated with the famous town hall where fresh vegetables, fruits and flowers are on sale. Held everyday except on Sundays.
An imposing red-walled building at the market square and the seat of the Basel City government. Another architecture of Gothic style in the 15th century with a mystical figure.
Directions: At the Market Square
barbskie's Related Pages
Kanton Basel-Stadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICH LIEBE BASEL"
- "The City of Culture"
- "The smallest canton in Switzerland"
- "Fasnacht in Basel from a Wombat's View"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Hotels in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Transportation in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Nightlife in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Restaurants in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Shopping in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Warnings and Dangers in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- 15 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Kanton Basel-Stadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Switzerland ...where to go,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Cathedral"
- Uploaded a Video to Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Wrote a Review St. Elisabethen Kirche/Church of St. Elizabeth in Kanton Basel-Stadt Things to Do
- updated a Kanton Basel-Stadt Travel Page "BASEL"
- Commented on one of meiyergani's Kanton Basel-Stadt travel pages
Photos in Kanton Basel-StadtSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 117 reviews, 467 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torrevieja Intro, 58 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Torrelamata Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 28 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 16 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues