Switzerland Local Custom Tips by barbskie Top 5 Page for this destination
Switzerland Local Customs: 171 reviews and 207 photos
National day fireworks
The country's national day is celebrated every first of August . Everywhere is decorated with lanterns which give a beautiful lighting as soon as darkness breaks out . Most balconies , terraces and restaurants are also decorated with little swiss flags and banners. In some public places, people gathers around a bonfire and listen speeches about its independence. The thought- provoking words from an eminent cultural or political speakers, with songs and music,some gymnastic shows and group performances of the National Anthem are the traditional elements of the day.
It is a national holiday thus all shops are closed except at airports and train mainstations.
Many municipalities celebrated it with cultural parades and set off fireworks, in which, some of these are ignited on mountain tops and hills. These great firewoks display draws a large number of both foreign and local spectators....including me and my family :-) My fav one is in Interlaken.
The Carnival opening is always held yearly on the 11th of November at 11 o'clock in the morning. The locals called it 11.11.11.(elfte.elfte.elfte.) This tradition is incomparable to most carnivals like in Brazil or to any part of the world. It is an event of masks, music and costumes, held throughout Switzerland, but the dates and details vary from canton to canton. It is normally just before or just after the beginning of Lent. The roots of the tradition are disputed: some people claim it goes back to a mixture of pagan spring festivals, Christian rites and secular folk customs. In some cantons, carnival is based on pagan traditions of using fearsome masks to chase away evil spirits. The most popular Faschnacht is in Basel, Lucerne and Ticino.
More Reviews (41)
- See All Suspension Bridge Aletsch
- See All Swiss Pass
- See All Bringing liquids on board!
- See All Picnic on eternal snow!
barbskie's Related Pages
Switzerland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Switzerland was my home for more than 5 years"
- "Switzerland like a dream..."
- "Welcome to the Heart of The Alps"
- "The Heart of Europe"
- "I love Switzerland - and all their cable-cars!"
- " SWITZERLAND "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Switzerland
- Hotels in Switzerland
- Transportation in Switzerland
- Nightlife in Switzerland
- Restaurants in Switzerland
- Shopping in Switzerland
- Warnings and Dangers in Switzerland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Switzerland
- 375 Reviews
- 1,556 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 31 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Switzerland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Switzerland
- updated a Switzerland Travelogue "First-Bachalpsee- First_Tour"
- Wrote a Review Suspension Bridge Aletsch in Switzerland Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Suspension Bridge Aletsch"
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Switzerland ...where to go,..."
- Commented on one of pcg821's Switzerland travel pages
Videos in SwitzerlandSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 117 reviews, 467 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torrevieja Intro, 58 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Torrelamata Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 28 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 16 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues