"A Flower of the Atlantic" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Terceira by Savana66
Ilha Terceira Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 81 photos
Handed by Henry the Navigator to Jácome de Bruges, the colonization started around 1540. It was the last part of the portuguese territory to resist the Spanish Invasion. Later on during the Spanish domain, it was a stopping point for the ships returning with gold from Mexico and Peru on their way to Cadiz.
Ive been fortunate enough to go to Terceira Island in the Azores and have what I could consider an extension of my family. They are a very welcoming people, food is great, the traditional fests are fun, the ocean is warm there. Ide say its a "must". Im only sorry I didnt get to visit the rest of the islands yet.....but I WILL and anyone who loves nature and the Ocean should too. Perfect for underwater fishing and other "water activities".
Terceira is not the main Island of the Azores (São Miguel is), but its one of the most developed because of the International Airport and the American air base. Not as you would think, its not completly filled with tourists thank god.
- Pros:Beautiful landscapes, Good food, great fests, welcoming people
- Cons:In the back of your mind you cant help thinking about the ugly contrast between a beautiful island and war planes
Terceira's biggest town. UNESCO world heritage. Suffered with a big earthquake in January 1st 1980, but restaured as... more travel advice
If possible, rent a car and drive. The great thing about this island is that it seems everything is off the beaten... more travel advice
Savana66's Related Pages
Ilha Terceira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Flower of the Atlantic"
- "Terceira: Beautiful Island"
- "Picnic anyone?"
- "Terceira Island"
- "Ilha Terceira"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha Terceira
- Hotels in Ilha Terceira
- Transportation in Ilha Terceira
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha Terceira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha Terceira
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ilha Terceira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha Terceira
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Terceira Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Peniche Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Ireland Intro, 3 photos