"A Flower of the Atlantic" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Terceira by Savana66

Ilha Terceira Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 81 photos

Handed by Henry the Navigator to Jácome de Bruges, the colonization started around 1540. It was the last part of the portuguese territory to resist the Spanish Invasion. Later on during the Spanish domain, it was a stopping point for the ships returning with gold from Mexico and Peru on their way to Cadiz.
Ive been fortunate enough to go to Terceira Island in the Azores and have what I could consider an extension of my family. They are a very welcoming people, food is great, the traditional fests are fun, the ocean is warm there. Ide say its a "must". Im only sorry I didnt get to visit the rest of the islands yet.....but I WILL and anyone who loves nature and the Ocean should too. Perfect for underwater fishing and other "water activities".
Terceira is not the main Island of the Azores (São Miguel is), but its one of the most developed because of the International Airport and the American air base. Not as you would think, its not completly filled with tourists thank god.

• Pros:Beautiful landscapes, Good food, great fests, welcoming people
  • Cons:In the back of your mind you cant help thinking about the ugly contrast between a beautiful island and war planes
  • Last visit to Ilha Terceira: Aug 1997
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2004

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Ilha Terceira looks nice, good tips, good pictures!

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 12:36 PM

Nice tips Rui and the pics are just GREAT!!!!! I didn't know about the street bullfight tradition on Terceira, it is similar to a tradition on my town called Vaca das Cordas.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 5:34 AM

Very nice page; I enjoyed reading about the summer fests they have here-good to know.

Savana66

“We are not what we say, We are what we do....”

Badges & Stats in Ilha Terceira

Have you been to Ilha Terceira?

Latest Activity in Ilha Terceira