"Hundred Miles of Art Gallery" Top 5 Page for this destination Guilin by yipsufen
Guilin Travel Guide: 473 reviews and 1,239 photos
Located in northeast Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, Guilin is named after the fragrance of osmanthus tree.
The city of Guilin has enjoyed the reputation of having the country's most beautiful scenery for hundreds of years, which is well known for its verdant hills, limpid waters, mysterious caves and grosteque rocks. Guilin has the most typical karst topography in the world, which forms Guilin's unique scenery. Hence the polular saying "The mountains and waters of Guilin are the finest under heaven".
The Li River (or Lijiang), the main river in this area, winds through the rising and falling hills and peaks like a coloured silk ribbon. A cruise on the river brings visitors really in touch with the unique scenery around Guilin, which is considered to be a fine art gallery as natural scenic wonders unfold on both banks of the river.
Guilin is home to people of the Zhuang, Dong, Miao, Yao and other ethnic minorities.
There are many websites dedicated to Guilin, some are listed here for your quick reference:-
For more useful information and exciting photos, check out my Travel Tips and Travelogue.
Elephant Trunk Hill which is composed of the pure limestone deposited deep in the sea 360 million years ago, sits at the juncture of the Li River and the Peach Blossom River. From a distance, a spur of rock which juts out into the river, forming an arch, makes the hill look like an elephant drinking water from the river, hence the name. Between the "elephant trunk and its body" is a crescent-shaped gap, known as the Cave of the Reflected Moon.
The hill is a symbol of Guilin and representative of its scenery.
Crown cave is formed by underground water erosion and is a huge limestone cave which resembles an emperor's golden crown.
There are many caves in Guilin, however this is one of the most entertaining caves in Guilin. You can explore the cave by sea (boat), land (roller coaster) and air (elevator).
Crown Cave has national AAAA grade of scenic spots and is located in the midland of Li River. The scenery area has received two Guinness Book of Records, ie. the longest sight-seeing roller coaster in the world and also two elevators in the cave.
- Pros:The mountains and waters of Guilin are the finest under heaven.
- In a nutshell:A city encircled by verdant hills, limpid waters, mysterious caves and grosteque rocks.
At the peak of Gudong National Park is the canopy walk with tall trees and a suspension bridge. The bridge is strong and... more travel advice
Guilin is famous for its cakes made from osmanthus, green bean, water chestnut, pomelo and yam. They come in small... more travel advice
yipsufen's Related Pages
Guilin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilin, the River Li and Cormorant Fishing"
- "Guilin and those Cool Mountains!"
- "Hundred Miles of Art Gallery"
- "Guilin - Karst scenery and the Li River"
- "Sharrie's Guilin "Rockies""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guilin
- Hotels in Guilin
- Transportation in Guilin
- Nightlife in Guilin
- Restaurants in Guilin
- Shopping in Guilin
- Warnings and Dangers in Guilin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guilin
- 25 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Guilin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guilin
Photos in GuilinSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guilin Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues