"Pearl of The Orient" Shanghai by yipsufen
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,073 reviews and 8,108 photos
Shanghai is located on the coast of the East China Sea in the Yangtze River Delta. It covers an area of 6,340sq.km with a population of 16 million. As the largest economic hub & a famous port city, Shanghai is also the centre of science, technology, finance, trade, tourism, information & culture in China - a window through which China is opened to the rest of the world.
For more details, please visit the below websites:-
Definitely a must-see place for all tourists to Shanghai. It is a 1.5km stretch of shoreline along the crescent-shaped Huangpu River or better known as The Bund.
At the West of Huangpu River (Puxi), you can witness the golden era of Shanghai 1920s and 1930s. An era famous for its rich tycoons, songstress and vibrant nightlife. Look out for the Gothic, Baroque & Roman architecture like The Peace Hotel, HSBC Building, Bank of China, etc.
At the East of Huangpu River (Pudong), you can see a modern Shanghai skyline with tall skyscrapers & superb architecture. This is the Shanghai's new economic and development zone. One of the tallest towers and buildings are situated at Pudong, ie. Oriental Pearl TV Tower and Jin Mao Tower (which housed Grand Hyatt Hotel).
If you wish to see some chinese arts & cultures or to bring home some local speciality or souvenirs, this is the place just for you. In no time, you can shop for arts, crafts and taste the tidbits and juicy fragrant dumplings. It is an integration of garden, shops & temples & a combination of best culturual & humanistic scenic beauty of an old town.
Pudong New Area occupies 523 sq.km, it is a new economic zone developed in 1990 as the China's hub of economy and finance.
Some attractions are Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Shanghai Maglev Train, Jin Mao Tower, International Convention & Exhibition Centre, etc.
- Pros:Magnificent scenic spots & historical sites complete this picturesque city.
- Cons:A densely-populated cosmopolitan with huge crowds & traffic jams.
- In a nutshell:City full of nostalgia & glamour. The old & new Shanghai!
It is not advisable to visit Shanghai during the summer months as most lights in major tourist attractions may be shut... more travel advice
It's best to view Shanghai Bund during night time, where streets are abuzzed with activities & buildings decorated with... more travel advice
yipsufen's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 21 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
- Posted in Travel Kuala Lumpur Forum "Re: swiss garden hotel"
- updated a Shanghai Travelogue "Shanghai 3/5/2004 - 5/5/2004"
- Wrote a Review A Hotel Near to Maglev Terminal in Shanghai Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lights Off During the Hot Summer Months"
- Commented on one of yeikloen's Shanghai travel pages
Photos in ShanghaiSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guilin Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Mingtown Hiker Youth Hostel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- World Union Service Apartment Shanghai
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Shanghai Salvo Hotel
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- New Harbour Serviced Apartments Shanghai
- 306 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Ruitai Jingan Hotel Shanghai
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
- 777 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Best Western Longmen Hotel Shanghai
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- The Langham Yangtze Boutique
- 293 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Grand Hyatt Shanghai
- 457 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Ocean Hotel Shanghai
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hua Ting Hotel And Towers
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Westin Bund Center
- 596 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Fraser Suites Top Glory Shanghai
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2013
- Tongji Garden Apartment Hotel Shanghai
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2011