Melaka Shopping Tips by yipsufen
Melaka Shopping: 76 reviews and 111 photos
Tourists shopping for local food products
This is a shop where most tourists to Melaka will converge here for some shopping. You can find Melaka local produce and food stuff of all around Malaysia. It's a hot spot for group tourist.
What to buy: Some famous products from Tan Kim Hock are durian and coconut sweets, Melaka sugar, pineapple tarts, Cincalok and Dodol (durian paste). Other Malaysian food stuff - white coffee, fragrant biscuits, nutmeg, Belacan, Keropok (fish & prawn crackers), Bak Kut Teh (Pork's rib soup) soup base, ginger sweet... just to name a few. Choices are abundant here with unlimited stock supplies. Ask the sale assistants for food sampling.
If you like to taste their chendol made from sweet Melaka sugar, purchase your RM3 coupon from the cashier at the main entrance. Available in durian flavour too.
Address: Lot 182, Jalan Laksamana Cheng Ho, 75000 Melaka
Other Contact: Fax: 06-2832320
Theme: Food and Drink
Theme: Women's Clothes
Jusco Ayer Keroh
This is a shopping mall with Jusco as an anchor tenant. Singaporeans like to cross the causeway over the weekends and stock up some groceries and household items here as they are cheaper comparatively. You need to pay parking fees eventhough you are parking outside of Jusco's compounds.
Theme: Department Store
The Orang Utan House
What to buy: This is a shop which sells some funky T-shirts with bold messages and collectible art items. Of course their trademark item is the one with Orang Utan.
What to buy: Jonker Walk, is where the most interesting shopping activities take place. The street contains every imaginable trades: spirits importers, hairdresing salons, wooden shoe stores, apothecaries with Chinese herbs on display, sign printers, an acupuncture clinic, several furniture factories, etc. There is also a combination craft shop and restaurant with Peranakan ambience.
You will find treasures such as ornate oil lamps, opium beds, altar stands, Victorian clocks and early gramophones in the antique shops of Jonker Walk.
After a tired hunt of antiques, why not rest your feets at one of the shops (No.88) which offers the best dessert and chendol.
Cincalok - Melaka specialty
What to buy: Made of tiny shrimps and vinegar, this pinkish meal enhancer is a well-loved traditional appetizer among the locals. Popular for its exotic flavour, the cincalok is usually added to rice for a more fulfilling meal. Sold in bottles, you can purchase this delicacy at the stalls by the beach of Jalan Klebang or at any tourist spots.
Just add a little bit of chilli shreds, lime and onion shreds, it ban be served as a flavouring sauce with rice or as an appetizer.
Theme: Food and Drink
Some antiques in The Baba House
What to buy: Fancy bringing back priceless Chinese porcelain home ? Well, just walk into any of the antique shops along Jonker Walk.
Antique lovers all over the world should take a look at the extraordinary findings they have in those shops from the Sung, Ming and Qing dynasties.
Apart from antiques, pieces of brassware and ancient jewelry, you will also find exquisite porcelain from the 17th century Dutch and 18th Century Japan there. The shops are lined along Jonker Walk.
More Reviews (31)
- See All Panorama Bus for Sightseeing
- See All Satay or Steamboat ?
- See All Proclamation of Independence Museum
- D Paradise
yipsufen's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- Pensacola Beach Hotels
- Apostle Islands Hotels
- Addis Ababa Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 38 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Photos in MelakaSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guilin Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Melaka hotel reviews
- Kancil Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Lisbon Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 5, 2012
- River View Guest House
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Eastern Heritage Guest House
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Mimosa Hotel
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Semabok Inn
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013
- Kings Hotel
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Tan Kim Hock Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 27, 2012
- Hallmark Hotel
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- D-Paradise Park and Resort
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2010
- Kancil Guest House
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2011
- St. Paul's Church Ruins- 51 Reviews, 99 Photos
- A' Famosa- 43 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Temple's- 37 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Dutch Square- 39 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Museums- 37 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Churches- 47 Reviews, 70 Photos
- The Stadthuys- 34 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Kampung Kling Mosque- 17 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Trishaw Drivers- 14 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Princess Hang Li Poh's well- 9 Reviews, 9 Photos
See All Melaka Things to Do