"Historic Melaka" Melaka by yipsufen
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,715 reviews and 4,441 photos
Melaka is famed as the place where the history of Malaysia began. It was founded in 1396 by Parameswara, an exiled prince from Sumatra. It thrived as a port-of-call to many ships and merchants from China, India, Arabia and Europe.
In 1511, it fell into the hands of the Portugese and subsequently to the Dutch in 1641, after a fierce battle with the former. In 1795, the Dutch relinquished control of Melaka to the British to prevent it from falling into the hands of the French, when the Netherlands was captured during the French Revolution. It was returned to the Dutch in 1818 under the Treaty of Vienna but was later exchanged by the British for Bencoleen, Sumatra.
From 1826 onwards, it was ruled bu English East India Company in Calcutta together with Singapore and Penang under the Straits Settlements administration.
After World War II, nationalistic sentiments began to spread in the country, culminating in the proclamation of indenpendence by Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj, Malaysia's first Premium Minister at the Padang Pahlawan (Warrior's Field) at Bandar Hilir, Melaka on 20 February 1956.
Melaka is rich in history and the many relics of the past will take visitors on a nostalgic journey that goes back to 600 years of a glorious and colourful past.
It is just two hours of drive from Kuala Lumpur.
The Stadthuys, built in 1650 as the official residence of Dutch Governors and their officers, the edifice is an example of Dutch architecture. Preserved in its original structure and form. It now houses the History Musuem and Ethnography Museum. On display daily are traditional bridal costumes and relics from Melaka's glorious past.
Closed on Monday.
The hallmark of Melaka and perhaps the most photographed landmark next to the Stadthuys. Built by the Portugese in 1511 as a fortress it sustained severe structural damage during the Dutch invasion. The Dutch had set to destroy it but timely intervention by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1808 saved what remains of A' Famosa today.
Straits Chinese, Peranakans or the Baba and Nyonya, are Chinese who have adopted much of the Malay culture. The Babas are a unique community on its own and Melaka is the original birth place of this community. They have been living in Melaka continuously for 600 years.
- Pros:A town rich in history and culture.
- Cons:Parking and one-way street is a problem here.
- In a nutshell:A nostalgic journey that goes back to 600 years of a glorious past.
Be there as early as 6pm if you want to beat the crowd. If you don't believe, see this photo. more travel advice
This is a shopping mall with Jusco as an anchor tenant. Singaporeans like to cross the causeway over the weekends and... more travel advice
yipsufen's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 38 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Photos in MelakaSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guilin Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues