"Cat City" Kuching by yipsufen
Kuching Travel Guide: 794 reviews and 2,083 photos
The administration of Kuching is divided into two groups. Divided by the Sarawak River, the south is more Chinese influenced and is the business and commercial area of Kuching. The north with Petra Jaya is the administrative heart of the city.
Two notable and useful links are:-
The origins of its name have never been clear. The city has never been remembered for having significantly larger population of cats when compared to others. In fact, the many cat statues, the Kuching Cat Museum and other association with cats have been part of a modern effort of tourism.
Kuching his home to people from virtually all of Sarawak's 26-plus ethnic groups. Eg: Bidayuh, Iban, Melanau, Orang Ulu, Penan, etc. All are thoroughly modern Malaysians nowadays but many of the rural people still live in longhouse communities.
- Pros:A clean city with good planning & a touch of Borneo's colours
- In a nutshell:Gateway to the great adventure & ethnic culture of Borneo
The Astana means palace in Malay. It is a shingle-roofed, white-washed imposing edifice erected on a hill-lock. The... more travel advice
The Orang Ulu ladies are the artisans of this fine craft. In their possession are antique necklaces, headgear and baby... more travel advice
yipsufen's Related Pages
Kuching Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cat City"
- "The Liveable, Green Cat City Welcomes you Back"
- "A Quick Two Day Stay In Beautiful Kuching"
- "Kuching - City of Cats"
- "KUCHING WATERFRONT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuching
- Hotels in Kuching
- Transportation in Kuching
- Nightlife in Kuching
- Restaurants in Kuching
- Shopping in Kuching
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuching
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuching
- 26 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Kuching?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuching
Photos in KuchingSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guilin Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues