"Malaysian Borneo" Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu by yipsufen
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide: 1,058 reviews and 2,781 photos
Kota Kinabalu or KK as it is popularly known, is a pleasant Borneo surprise, set between lush tropical hills and the South China Sea. It is the state capital of Sabah. KK was granted city status on 2 February 2000.
In 1899, the British named the new settlement "Jesselton" after Sir Charles Jessel, the Vice-Chairman of the British North Borneo Chartered Company. Jesselton was also known as Api-Api, which litterally means "fire-fire". Jesselton was renamed Kota Kinabalu on 30 September 1968 for the majestic Mount Kinabalu.
Mount Kinabalu, the majestic summit of Borneo is the focal point of Kinabalu Park and the whole of Sabah. This magnificent granite massif stands at 4,095.2m (13,435ft) tall.
Some of websites that I have relied much upon:-
A great place to hang out with friends & family. Watch the sun goes down as you sip coconut water and chow down on satay, chicken wings or hawker-style noodles.
Gaya Island is the largest island in Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, at 140 ha. Gaya Island is partly private-owned and there is a lovely resort of chalets-above-the-sea, the Gayana Resort, which also undertakes a Reef Project.
- Pros:A great destination for adventure seekers
- In a nutshell:Eco treasures from mountain high to ocean deep
Sabah tea is cultivated in the pristine foothills of Mount Kinabalu. It's an all time favourite for everyone. 100%... more travel advice
Tuaran is a small town in Kota Kinabalu & Tuaran mee is a type of noodles made from flour & mixed with egg. It's usually... more travel advice
yipsufen's Related Pages
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- "Malaysian Borneo"
- "KK (as it is commonly known)"
- "SABAH & KOTA KINABALU"
- "Of Mountains,Islands & Headhunters. Don't miss it!"
- "KK Has It All!"
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu
- Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
- Transportation in Kota Kinabalu
- Nightlife in Kota Kinabalu
- Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
- Shopping in Kota Kinabalu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kota Kinabalu
- 40 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Kota Kinabalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kota Kinabalu
Photos in Kota KinabaluSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guilin Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues