"My Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Breda by Joenes

Breda Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,131 photos

The City

The name of the city finds it's origin in a river called the "Brede Aa".The original city centre is surrounded by canals.The centre of Breda has been given cityrights in 1250 and is because of that one of the oldest cities in The Netherlands.
The famous white coloured church is called "De Grote Kerk" or "Onze Lieve Vrouwe Kerk" and has been through a lot in the past centuries.
The big market place right next to the church has a great range of restaurants,bars and terrases and on friday there is a huge food and clothing market in the morning.
On this square you will also find the old city hall and The Historical Museum.
And if you are into shopping just turn into one of the adjoining streets and you will end up in a maze of stores.

• Pros:Beautiful city heart!
  • Cons:Try to park your car in the centre...:-)
  • In a nutshell:The nicest town in the south of The Netherlands
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2005

• lisa_aruliah's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Your lucky to stay in the heart of so much culture...

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 11:29 PM

The Beyerd sound like a very nice place to have a meal. Great tips. Maybe in my next trip I can visit here. :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Really enjoyed reading about your Home Town of Breda. Great insights, helpful tips, excellent descriptions and brilliant photographs.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 10:00 AM

I have satisfying memories of previous travels around the Netherlands, nice calm people and places to see! thanks for your pics and info. and your xlent kiwi pics for us kiwis away on the other side of the world!!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2005 at 9:14 AM

You live in a beautiful town! Breyerd sounds great - I'd love to try some of those dishes made with beer : )

• Christianne's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 10:42 PM

Looks great! I would like to visit Breda!

• angela80's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 7:48 AM

Nog een happy new year. Toffe site Xangela

• Dec 29, 2004 at 11:54 PM

Nice Breda page Jeroen. I must try to see more of the Netherlands in 05, and this city could be on my list.

• ilovesooty's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2004 at 5:15 PM

Spent a wonderful evening at the Beyard a few years back. I've unfortunately lost touch with the person I went with, as we have both split from our partners. I'm sad about that. Must go back and visit.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2004 at 7:36 PM

I didn't know anything about Breda, but it looks beautiful. The church alone makes it worth a visit. Thanks!

Joenes Lives Here!

Joenes

“"Life is what's happening when you are busy making other plans" (John Lennon)”

Badges & Stats in Breda