Hamburg Things to Do Tips by weewatty
Hamburg Things to Do: 569 reviews and 988 photos
Right in the centre of Hamburg you will find 2 lakes, the Binnenalster and the Aussenalster.
Boat trips are available round the lakes and the waterfront looks pretty cool especially Jungfernstieg where wou will find an array of classy shops and depaertment stores.
To see such an expanse of water in the centre of the city is rather unusual but the locals seemed to make full use of the many walkways and parks which surround the lakes.
Address: In the City Centre.
Directions: U-/S-Bahn: Dammtor (Aussenalster)Jungfernstieg (Binnenalster)
Hamburg TV Tower - Closed.
In search of a hangover cure me and a couple of my mates decided we would go to the top of the TV Tower. Off we set on foot for what we thought was a 5 minute walk from the Reeperbahn, half an hour later we don't seem to be any closer to the dam thing!!
Well exagerating a bit, it maybe took us half an hour in total to get there, imagine our bemusement and disappointment to be greeted with a building site of monsterous proportions at the bottom of the tower, it was bloody closed!!
Not to worry the fresh air had done us good, and the TV Tower looked mightily impressive from the ground, maybe a trip to the top would of sent me over the edge?
Address: Lagerstraße 2-8, 20357 HH
Directions: U3: Sternschanze
This is an area of warehouses, yes thats warehouses, many of which have been converted into offices, or visitor attractions. Having said that alot of them are still used as working warehouses.
Striking buildings in red brick stretch for some distance. You will find bothe the Hamburg Dungeon and the Spice Museum in this area as well as some massive model railway which the locals seemed quite excited about, beats me.
Address: It an Area rather than a specific address.
Directions: City End of the Port.
Main Hall at the FischMarkt.
Unmissable experience this one, unique.
We went along at about 05.30am to be confronted by masses of people milling about a huge continental market with literally hundreds of stalls, selling all kinds of stuff, from fresh produce, to tacky souveniers, to clothes, and even some Fish.
Although mostly outside it's centred around a hall which i assume used to be the original Fish Market, in the hall food vendors do a roaring trade dishing out Fruhstuck(Breakfast) to a lively crowd, some still tanking gallons of beer from the previous nights partying.
There are stages at either end of this hall where bands/musicians belt out songs to the masses, who show their pleasure by dancing around like dafties, quality stuff.
Apparently its all finished by 10am, some old tradition for not letting the fish market get in the way of attending church. We had to head at about 8am to catch our flight home though.
Address: FischMarkt, St Pauli
Directions: Just head for the docks from St Pauli, and anyone walking around at 05.30 in the morning will more than likely be heading for the FischMarkt.
Rathaus, viewed from the Comfort of a Beer Stall!
Located in the very centre of Hamburg near to the Altster Lake you will find a square which is dominated by the Town Hall, a strikingly grand building dating from the late 19th century.
You can take a guided tour of the building which has something mad like 500 rooms.
We enjoyed refreshing pints of Astra Lager on the main square in front of the Rathaus, well it was a sunny day afterall.
Directions: U3: Rathaus
More Reviews (6)
weewatty's Related Pages
Hamburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hamburg - a lot of great memories"
- "Port Hamburg Welcomes You!"
- "The Forgotten Hamburg"
- "FIFA came & went! But There's Still Lots To Do!"
- "Welcome to Hamburg"
- "In the footsteps of . . . Schnabelewopski?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hamburg
- Hotels in Hamburg
- Transportation in Hamburg
- Nightlife in Hamburg
- Restaurants in Hamburg
- Shopping in Hamburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Hamburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Velimirovac Hotels
- Judetul Satu Mare Hotels
- Ungheni Hotels
- Altinoluk Hotels
- Keewaydin Point State Park
Badges & Stats in Hamburg
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Hamburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamburg
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Cheap sleep in NYC"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hamburg SV - Hansa Rostock, AOL Arena, 23 Apr 2005"
- Wrote a Review Lakes of Water about Binnen and Außenalster in Hamburg Things to Do
- updated a Hamburg Travel Page "Cheap Weekender to Hamburg"
- Commented on one of Carletto76's Hamburg travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Hamburg Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Toronto Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Milan Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Orlando 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Latest Hamburg hotel reviews
- Hotel Aachener Hof
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 24, 2013
- A&O City Hotel Hamburg
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- Hotel Lumen
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- TOP Relexa Hotel Bellevue Hamburg
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Camping Buchholz
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- East Hotel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Albertus Paris Stadt-Appartements
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2012
- Hotel City House
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013
- Motel One Hamburg-Altona
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2013
- InterContinental Hamburg
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Mercure Hotel Hamburg City
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Instant Sleep Backpacker Hostel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Marriott Hamburg
- 245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Park Hyatt Hamburg
- 322 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Reeperbahn - St. Pauli- 35 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Town Hall - Rathaus- 41 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Port - Hafen- 76 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Fischmarkt- 17 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Speicherstadt- 34 Reviews, 60 Photos
- City Centre- 30 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Binnen and Außenalster- 30 Reviews, 70 Photos
- Michaeliskirche- 28 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Elbtunnel- 13 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Blankenese- 12 Reviews, 21 Photos
See All Hamburg Things to Do