"Oman:" Oman by mfas2000
Oman Travel Guide: 1,330 reviews and 3,518 photos
Oman´s history goes back to the very dawn of civilization where it is believed to have been the land known to the Sumerians as Magan, from which as early as 3,000 B.C. they were importing copper.
A Muslim Arabic country constituting the sixth country in the arab gulf council, Oman is were among the first of the peoples of the Arabian Peninsula to embrace Islam. The centuries that followed were a golden age, with Omani sailors and traders ranging from India to Africa. T
The Portuguese seized and fortified Muscat harbor. They were not finally expelled until 1650. Oman is then proceeded to build their own empire on the Arabian Peninsula. In 1741 the founder of the present Al-Said dynasty, Imam Ahmad bin Said, took power, moving the capital to the former Portuguese stronghold of Muscat. Britsh made a treaty with Oman, and Oman was recognized as fully independent in 1951.
- Pros:Arabic culture, Good hotels
- Cons:Not CHEAP!
- In a nutshell:worth exploring
mfas2000's Related Pages
Oman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oman - The Essence of Arabia"
- "Oman . . My Home of Three Years"
- "Beautiful Oman"
- "Eid Mubarak"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oman
- Hotels in Oman
- Transportation in Oman
- Nightlife in Oman
- Restaurants in Oman
- Shopping in Oman
- Warnings and Dangers in Oman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oman
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Oman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oman
Top 10 Pages
- Amman Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubai Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Palestine Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- France Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Abu Dhabi Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Belgium Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Oman Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Tivoli 1 review, 3 photos