"Izamal: The Oldest City of Yucatan" Izamal by RedEaredPanda
Izamal Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 50 photos
On our way from Chichen Itza to Merida, we stopped by the city of Izamal. It was one of the best things we decided to do since its people and the experience of seeing the gorgeous convent house first hand was overwhelming at the time and puts a smile on our face every time we think of our time spent in Izamal.
As we drove our rental car through the narrow streets, some with numbers clearly written and some not, we finally reached our destination of the convent house we were searching and following the city map. The Convent house is beautiful from inside and from outside.. Convent house is built on a Mayan pyramid upon arrival of the Spaniards and under the orders of Monk Fray Diego the Landa. Some of the rocks originally belonging to the pyramid used in the construction of the convent house are still evident from the inside.
If the convent house is the most attractive and widely visited destination in Izamal, it is certainly not the only one. The Mayan pyramid of Kinich Kakmo is only a short walk from the convent house.
We had the pleasure of meeting a local by the name of Gabriel who spoke English and showed us around the Convent house and walked with us to the Pyramid. Not only he works as a guide on some days during the week (we payed him as we wished as he did not ask for money), he works with the archeologocial team uncovering a newly discovered pyramid in the city of Izamal as well.
Izamal is definitely a must for every visitor coming to the Yucatan region of Mexico in search of Culture and History. The city is well known as Ciudad Amarilla or the Yellow city.
Generaly, in the Yucatan region of Mexico, people who have been to Izamal or have visited the streets of Izamal are easily identifed by others by only one phenomenone.. That would be the color yellow on their clothes or their hands!!!
When our guide first told us about this, I thought he was joking.. With some sense of humor, it is half true.. As he held his arm out and touched the surface of one of the streets as we walked, yellow paint was all over his hand.. It was evident that if one ever leaned against any wall in Izamal, he would carry the paint with him every where he goes..
This picture is of a door I found appealing and took a photograph of.. It's a beautiful colorful city, the city of Izamal.
- Pros:Beautiful Colonial yellow houses and genuine people
- Cons:can't think of any
- In a nutshell:Gorgeous
As you arrive to Merida or any of the cities in the Yucatan Region in Mexico such as Valladolid or Izamal, you will... more travel advice
Izamal is a small enough city to see by walking around but if you're in the mood to relax a bit and give your weary legs... more travel advice
RedEaredPanda's Related Pages
Izamal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Izamal: The Oldest City of Yucatan"
- "The Yellow City"
- "Izamal the yellow city"
- "Ciudad Amarilla (Yellow City)"
- "Izamal, la ciudad amarilla"
- "Izamal, the yellow city."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Izamal
- Transportation in Izamal
- Restaurants in Izamal
- Warnings and Dangers in Izamal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Izamal
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Izamal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Izamal
Photos in IzamalSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Armenia Intro, 49 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- K'aghak' Yerevan Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Ejmiatsin Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nadi Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Izamal Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berkeley Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glendale Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue