"Izamal: The Oldest City of Yucatan" Izamal by RedEaredPanda

Izamal Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 50 photos

The Beautiful Yellow City of Izamal

On our way from Chichen Itza to Merida, we stopped by the city of Izamal. It was one of the best things we decided to do since its people and the experience of seeing the gorgeous convent house first hand was overwhelming at the time and puts a smile on our face every time we think of our time spent in Izamal.

As we drove our rental car through the narrow streets, some with numbers clearly written and some not, we finally reached our destination of the convent house we were searching and following the city map. The Convent house is beautiful from inside and from outside.. Convent house is built on a Mayan pyramid upon arrival of the Spaniards and under the orders of Monk Fray Diego the Landa. Some of the rocks originally belonging to the pyramid used in the construction of the convent house are still evident from the inside.

If the convent house is the most attractive and widely visited destination in Izamal, it is certainly not the only one. The Mayan pyramid of Kinich Kakmo is only a short walk from the convent house.

We had the pleasure of meeting a local by the name of Gabriel who spoke English and showed us around the Convent house and walked with us to the Pyramid. Not only he works as a guide on some days during the week (we payed him as we wished as he did not ask for money), he works with the archeologocial team uncovering a newly discovered pyramid in the city of Izamal as well.

Izamal is definitely a must for every visitor coming to the Yucatan region of Mexico in search of Culture and History. The city is well known as Ciudad Amarilla or the Yellow city.

YOU HAVE BEEN TO IZAMAL IF......

Generaly, in the Yucatan region of Mexico, people who have been to Izamal or have visited the streets of Izamal are easily identifed by others by only one phenomenone.. That would be the color yellow on their clothes or their hands!!!

When our guide first told us about this, I thought he was joking.. With some sense of humor, it is half true.. As he held his arm out and touched the surface of one of the streets as we walked, yellow paint was all over his hand.. It was evident that if one ever leaned against any wall in Izamal, he would carry the paint with him every where he goes..

This picture is of a door I found appealing and took a photograph of.. It's a beautiful colorful city, the city of Izamal.

• Pros:Beautiful Colonial yellow houses and genuine people
  • Cons:can't think of any
  • In a nutshell:Gorgeous
  • Last visit to Izamal: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 4, 2005

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2007 at 11:57 PM

I love the yellow houses of Izamal! Your page brings back great memories!

• AltDelete's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 10:21 AM

Beautiful city - I can wear my yellow shoes

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 1:48 PM

Izamal is quite a beautiful Mayan city, but we unfortunately did not have time to visit it ourselves while in the area! Those Mangoes look good too, one of my favourite tropical fruits!

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 3:50 PM

What a fabulous looking place - the study in my house is yellow, so I think I could feel at home in Izamal!! I wouldn't mind being the mango peelers assistant either, though I think I might eat most of the profits ;-) Marion.

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 4:03 AM

Mexico is a long-time dream destination of mine. I hope we will go there one day. I loved your tips and pictures, well written AND illustrated! (but I personally don´t like the courier print)

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2005 at 4:18 PM

Another place to visit next time we land up in the Yucatan! I enjoyed the visit. The Kinich Kak Mo pyramid looks interesting. It is hard to get a feel for how big it is from the picture. Will have to climb it myself.

RedEaredPanda

“SO MUCH to see, so little time!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Izamal