"Yereruyk Church in Anipemza, Gyumri" K'aghak' Gyumri by RedEaredPanda
K'aghak' Gyumri Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 121 photos
In Gyumri => Shirak => Anipemza lies Yereruyk church. Though roofless, it is one of the most architecturally important in Armenia and often features in collections of photographs of the country. Its significance rests with its early date (5th to 6th century) and the idea it gives of early Armenian church architecture which was modelled on the style of churches in the eastern provinces of the Roman empire.
The basilica-style building is erected on a large plinth approached by steps. The porches are framed by elaborately carved pediments of Graeco-Roman style, contrasting with the different style of the carved widow arches and the plain pilasters.
From where the church is located, if you look only a few hundred meters to the west, you can see the Turkish border.
On a clear day, both mount Aragats, the highest peak in present day Armenia and mount Ararat, the highest peak in historic Armenia can be seen.
To get there, drive North West of Yerevan towards the city of Gyumri.
From Yerevan, head west towards Armavir.. Pass the villages of Nairi, Hatsik etc.. I strongly recommend purchasing a good map of Armenia before you head off to different parts of the country and you may do so at Art Bridge Cafe in Yerevan which you can get an address and more information by clicking on Art Bridge link. You may also ask locals where the church is by the Turkish border if lost..
This is me standing in the middle of the roofless Yereruyk church in Anipemza... Behind me used to be the front... more travel advice
You can see with a bit more detail the architecture of the walls on the southern part of the Yereruyk church. The two... more travel advice
RedEaredPanda's Related Pages
K'aghak' Gyumri Travel Guide
- Things to Do in K'aghak' Gyumri
- Hotels in K'aghak' Gyumri
- Transportation in K'aghak' Gyumri
- Restaurants in K'aghak' Gyumri
- Warnings and Dangers in K'aghak' Gyumri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in K'aghak' Gyumri
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to K'aghak' Gyumri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in K'aghak' Gyumri
Photos in K'aghak' GyumriSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Armenia Intro, 49 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- K'aghak' Yerevan Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Ejmiatsin Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nadi Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Izamal Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berkeley Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Glendale Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue