"LEFT MY HEART BACK IN ARMENIA!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Armenia by RedEaredPanda
Armenia Travel Guide: 653 reviews and 2,490 photos
Location: In the southern Caucasus between the Black sea and the Caspian sea bordered by Georgia, Azerbaijan, Iran and Turkey. Yerevan is the capital of Armenia and is on the same latitude as Naples.
Population: October 2001 census reported 3 million people but the current number may be a lot less than reported.. Armenians account for 96% of the population with 2% Russian and the remainder mostly comprised of Yezidis and Kurds.
Government: Presidential parliamentary republic with universal adult suffrage.
Major Cities: Yerevan (Capital), Vanadzor and Gyumri.
Language: Armenian, an Indo-European language. Russian is also widely understood.. Many television channels are aired in Russian.. English and Eastern European languages are only understood by few in Yerevan.
Alphabet: Unique Armenian alphabet, currently with 39 letts was devised around AD400 by Sourp Mesrop Mashtots.
Religion: Very predominantly the Armenian Apostolic Church. The Armenians are the first people to accept Christianity as a nation. This fact is evident in many many monastaries around the country. The Yezidis are Zoroastrian fire worshippers and the Kurds are Muslim.
Symbols of Armenia: The classical symbol is the Khachkar ('Cross Stone'). The grape and pomegranate are also used as symbols as is the eagle which appears on the coat of arms.
I have taken many many photos in the villages of Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh.. This photograph of the Noratus village elderly woman is one of my personal favorites. The expression on her face and the centuries old "Cross Stone" in the background tells stories...
Took a picture of her with a digital camera and when asked if she would be able to see her picture on the camera screen, she replied "Why wouldn't I be able to see, I'm not old yet".. I wish I had time to sit by this woman and chat for hours.. she's been born and raised and lived all of her life in the Noratus Village on the south side of Sevan Lake.. Promised to get her a few pictures I took of her.. Only chance would be next year if I get the chance to visit Armenia again...
Garni temple is Armenia's only Graeco-Roman-style building. Recently, historians have suggested the temple to be a tomb built for a Romanised ruler, probably Sohaemus in year cAD 175
To learn more about Garni Temple, please visit Garni Temple on our VT Armenia Must See Pages.
On our way to Khor Virap, we stopped by the statue of Gevorg Chavush, a historic Armenian freedom fighter in the late... more travel advice
Well, while traveling in Armenia, mostly which was done with taxis, we were told that most cars run on gas.. Yeah, it's... more travel advice
- See All Statue of Mother Armenia in Yerevan
- See All List of Central Area Hotels in Yerevan
- Caution: Cows on the Road
RedEaredPanda's Related Pages
Armenia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LEFT MY HEART BACK IN ARMENIA!!!"
- "Snehulak's Armenia Page"
- "One-of-a-kind Secret Armenia"
- "The land of Noah ?"
- "Armenia - the land of ancient churches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Armenia
- Hotels in Armenia
- Transportation in Armenia
- Nightlife in Armenia
- Restaurants in Armenia
- Shopping in Armenia
- Warnings and Dangers in Armenia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Armenia
- 102 Reviews
- 167 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Armenia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Armenia
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Armenia travel pages
- Posted in Travel Madrid Forum "Re: One day in Madrid"
- updated a Armenia Travelogue "Eyes are the doors leading to the Soul"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Eyes are the doors leading to the Soul"
- Wrote a Review Gevorg Chavush Statue and Ararat in Armenia Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Armenia Intro, 49 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- K'aghak' Yerevan Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Ejmiatsin Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nadi Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Izamal Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berkeley Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Glendale Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue