"LEFT MY HEART BACK IN ARMENIA!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Armenia by RedEaredPanda

Armenia Travel Guide: 653 reviews and 2,490 photos

Some General Facts about the Country!!

Location: In the southern Caucasus between the Black sea and the Caspian sea bordered by Georgia, Azerbaijan, Iran and Turkey. Yerevan is the capital of Armenia and is on the same latitude as Naples.

Population: October 2001 census reported 3 million people but the current number may be a lot less than reported.. Armenians account for 96% of the population with 2% Russian and the remainder mostly comprised of Yezidis and Kurds.

Government: Presidential parliamentary republic with universal adult suffrage.

Major Cities: Yerevan (Capital), Vanadzor and Gyumri.

Language: Armenian, an Indo-European language. Russian is also widely understood.. Many television channels are aired in Russian.. English and Eastern European languages are only understood by few in Yerevan.

Alphabet: Unique Armenian alphabet, currently with 39 letts was devised around AD400 by Sourp Mesrop Mashtots.

Religion: Very predominantly the Armenian Apostolic Church. The Armenians are the first people to accept Christianity as a nation. This fact is evident in many many monastaries around the country. The Yezidis are Zoroastrian fire worshippers and the Kurds are Muslim.

Symbols of Armenia: The classical symbol is the Khachkar ('Cross Stone'). The grape and pomegranate are also used as symbols as is the eagle which appears on the coat of arms.

A personal favorite photograph!!!

I have taken many many photos in the villages of Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh.. This photograph of the Noratus village elderly woman is one of my personal favorites. The expression on her face and the centuries old "Cross Stone" in the background tells stories...
Took a picture of her with a digital camera and when asked if she would be able to see her picture on the camera screen, she replied "Why wouldn't I be able to see, I'm not old yet".. I wish I had time to sit by this woman and chat for hours.. she's been born and raised and lived all of her life in the Noratus Village on the south side of Sevan Lake.. Promised to get her a few pictures I took of her.. Only chance would be next year if I get the chance to visit Armenia again...

Garni Temple located East of Yerevan

Garni temple is Armenia's only Graeco-Roman-style building. Recently, historians have suggested the temple to be a tomb built for a Romanised ruler, probably Sohaemus in year cAD 175

To learn more about Garni Temple, please visit Garni Temple on our VT Armenia Must See Pages.

• Last visit to Armenia: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2004

• RaffiKojian's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Actually, the hammer and sickle are a post Soviet bit of capitalist marketing for the business on the corner - but it's still kitschy-cool. It's on the corner of Nalbandyan and Aram St, right across from Republic Square metro.

• Jun 14, 2008 at 4:36 AM

www.yqchat.net

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Thanks for great Armenia VT page , i hope see you here in Iran

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Great page! My mother in law is Armenian so we'd love to visit someday.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 11:25 PM

very nice tips and good historical tidbits to whet the appetite. hope we have enought time to see it all on our way through hitting that cow on a motorscooter could pose a problem, but the hotels make armenia even more inviting.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 7:26 AM

Great page, will have to come back!! There is a very nice Armenian church in my home town of Burgas, where there is quite a big Armenian community. greetings from Bulgaria

• April1985's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 11:36 AM

I would love to go to Armenia. Your pages were beautiful. Being Armenian, and not knowing the language, makes me a little nervous to go over there, but seeing how nice people were makes me want to go even more!

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 9:08 PM

nice armenia page! sounds like an interesting country to visit. i cant believe a total stranger invited you into their home. very hospitable, what an experience!

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 4:56 PM

Fascinating page! I enjoyed reading about a land about which I know little. Remarkably, as I sat reading, a classical music radio station began playing music by an Armenian duduk (sp?). Amazing.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 5:24 AM

Rya Taza .. interested in going in summer.. and i can't find it on my map... can u give me the general directions?? thx

RedEaredPanda

“SO MUCH to see, so little time!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Armenia

Have you been to Armenia?