"Bula!!!!!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nadi by RedEaredPanda
Nadi Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 296 photos
Fiji has over 300 islands in its archipelago, each fringed with coral reefs and lapped by warm azure waters - the diving and snorkelling are superb. Amid its wealth of natural beauty, Fiji's true magic lies in its people and the fascinating blend of their diverse cultures.
Fiji is an interesting blend of Melanesian, Polynesian, Micronesian, Indian, Chinese and European influences. For nearly 50 years, until the military coup of 1987, the indigenous people of Fiji represented an ethnic minority in their own land.
Fiji was the trade centre for the South Pacific during the 19th century, and the British claimed it as a colony in 1874. During the century or so that Fiji remained under British colonial rule, tens of thousands of indentured Indian labourers were imported to work on sugar plantations. Indigenous Fijians, however, managed to hold onto their traditional rites and practices - meke (narrative dance), bure (house) construction, kava ceremonies, tapa-cloth making and pottery.
Full country name: Republic of Fiji
Area: 18,300 sq km
Capital City: Suva (pop. 358,500)
People: Indigenous Fijian 50%, Indo-Fijian 45%
Language: Fijian, English
Religion: 53% Christian, 38% Hindus, 8% Muslims, and 1% Sikhs
Head of State: President Ratu Josefa Iloilo
Head of Government: Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase
Major Industries: Sugar, tourism, gold, fish, lumber and clothing.
Major Trading Partners: Australia, Japan and New Zealand
If you find yourself in mainland fiji or on one of Fijian Islands vacationing, you must and I mean this from the bottom... more travel advice
RedEaredPanda's Related Pages
Nadi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Denarau is the port of Nadi"
- "Warm greetings"
- "Dinner with a local family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nadi
- Hotels in Nadi
- Transportation in Nadi
- Nightlife in Nadi
- Restaurants in Nadi
- Shopping in Nadi
- Warnings and Dangers in Nadi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nadi
- 14 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Nadi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nadi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Armenia Intro, 49 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- K'aghak' Yerevan Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Ejmiatsin Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nadi Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Izamal Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berkeley Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Glendale Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue