"Lisbon adventure and travel" Lisbon by chiara76

Lisbon Travel Guide: 5,193 reviews and 12,839 photos

Belem

Me and my husband have been to Portugal in the beginning of November 2003, since 3rd till 11th November. We spent a wonderful week in Lisbon and in few places around the city. We can recommend all people this nice city and Portugal as we have fallen in love with this country.

One of the most beautiful districts of Lisbon is Belem. It is located few kilometers away from the centre and you must take the train or tram to get there. In Belem you can see Monastery of Jeronimos, Monument of Explorers, Archeological Museum, Museum of Geografical Discoveries and the beautiful Tower of Belem, which is a must see in Lisbon.

Alfama, Se and the Castle

Alfama is one of the oldest district of Lisbon city. There are many old tenement houses, old trees. You can see the cage with the canary out of the window or even laundry out fo the window...But the walk around this district is nice and you can have really nice time there. Walking through Alfama you get to Cathedral Se which is the main churge in Lisbon and which is old (XII century). After visiting Se you should climb the Lisbon hill and see Sao Jorge Castle. The castle was build in XX century but it is very romantic and worth seen. It is the favorite place of dates of Lisbon's youth. From the top of the castle area you can see a beautiful panorama of the city.

Futuristic Lisbon

Lisbo has also a futuristic part. It contains an Aquarium and the terain of Expo'98. The whole district is very modern and futuristic. Lisbon's Aquarium is the bigest one in the whole Europe and the second biggest Aquarium on the world!! We have spent great time in the Aquarium, watching many different and amazing fishes and animals there. I was deligthed with watching of of my favourite animals which are seahorses. But the other fishes and sea animals was also great and we spent there almost two hours watching them.

It is also worth to make a short excursion by the panoramic cable railway and watch the area of Expo ' 98. You can see there a lot of modern buildings and you can watch a number of pavilions with exciting exibitions like virtual world.

• Pros:nice people, good food, beautiful architecture
  • Cons:heavy rain one day:)
  • In a nutshell:You always need more to visit Lisbon
  • Last visit to Lisbon: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 21, 2004

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2008 at 5:41 AM

Merry Christmas, Maria. We travel quite a bit as well - a family tradition. Haven't been to Portugal yet, but we are considering it. I enjoyed your pages.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 3:42 PM

The Alfama district looks very interesting--and I love the tiles placed on the buildings!! We visited Lisbon a looooong time ago...I remember there were some great bargains there!

• Feb 14, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Hello, My name is Jan I would like to know how much it would cost to take a taxi or private car from the Port to Fatima. Thank You in Advance

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Wonderful page on Lisbon Maria. We have been there once and really liked the area around Cascais and Estoril. Love the flamingo and dolphins pics.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Thanks for the introduction. Looks as if the air is crisp and the light is very bright and special. Lovely architecture and interesting little lanes.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Lisbon and heard some Fado live.

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2007 at 6:47 AM

Very interesting page! Seems to be a nice city. Happy Easter!

• Avieira67's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 2:36 PM

Good tips about Lisbon. Thank you very much!

• aluapm's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 1:20 PM

I'm happy for you have liked Lisbon. Come again to visit us!!!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 12:53 PM

Maria, thank you very much for your input in the Lisbon forum ....fabulous page here ..I am looking forward to my trip to this lovely town ... :-)

chiara76

“To see as much as possible:)”

Badges & Stats in Lisbon