"Vancouver -- welcome to the Wet Coast!" Vancouver by rwlittle
Vancouver Travel Guide: 4,174 reviews and 9,059 photos
Vancouver is named after the British explorer who charted this region of the world, Captain George Vancouver. Vancouver is a relatively young city, being rebuilt from scratch following the Great Fire of 1886. The greater Vancouver area is a thriving, livable metropolis, with many natural sights, one of the largest Chinatowns in North America, and many skiing locales nearby.
Visitors should plan to check out Stanley Park, the Capilano Suspension Bridge (across Burrard Inlet in West Vancouver), the beautiful University of British Columbia campus, and (if we're all lucky) a Canucks game.
The greater Vancouver area is the place I consider my home town. I grew up here, from the age of 8 to the age of 22, when I left for Kingston Ontario and grad school. My folks still live there, and I try to get home as often as possible.
I lived in Vancouver proper from 1990 to 1992, my last two years at the University of British Columbia getting my Bachelor's degree in physics. Every time I'm back home, I try to get out to campus to see how campus has been changing.
It doesn't rain here as much as people seem to think. The winter months can be quite dreary...but I will point out that the winters elsewhere on the continent involve snow, not rain. To a Vancouverite, snow belongs in the mountains--which are only a stone's throw away. The summer months have generally pleasurable weather: sunny and warm, and without overwhelming humidity.
Since I was in high school, the greater Vancouver area has been transformed into a major movie and TV filming location. The first sign of this phenomenon I noticed was when they shut down my street for a couple of days when I was in high school to film some scenes of the movie "Runaway", starring Tom Selleck, Kirstie Alley, Cynthia Rhodes, and Gene Simmons (of KISS fame). I ended up as an extra in the movie (as well as most of the folks from the street).
When I moved on to attending UBC, I often nearly walked into scenes being filmed on campus for "21 Jumpstreet" and "MacGyver".
Since I moved away, filming has continued. I was dryly amused by the mountains of Vancouver serving as the backdrop for "Rumble in the Bronx". These days, "Smallville", "Stargate SG1", and "Battlestar Galactica" (that's the new series, not the old one) are the series I know are being filmed here. Battlestar Galactica I am sure of, because I recognized the Vancouver Public Library in last night's episode.
So, if you're visiting, you may want to keep an eye out for the stars!
...in the world! Well, I suppose I'm biased, since I went to UBC, but I'm sticking with my story. Various gardens, the... more travel advice
The Skytrain is a very efficient way of getting around in Vancouver, and out to the suburbs south of Burrard Inlet.... more travel advice
rwlittle's Related Pages
Vancouver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Local's Perspective"
- "Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
- "Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
- "Vancouver, my current home"
- "Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"
- "The big city on the West Coast"
- "Welcome to Beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vancouver
- Hotels in Vancouver
- Transportation in Vancouver
- Nightlife in Vancouver
- Restaurants in Vancouver
- Shopping in Vancouver
- Warnings and Dangers in Vancouver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vancouver
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Vancouver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vancouver
- updated a Vancouver Travel Page "Vancouver -- welcome to the Wet Coast!"
- Commented on one of Blatherwick's Vancouver travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: Left-handedness!"
- Wrote a Review Take a bus tour! about private bus (coach) in Vancouver Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "photos of UBC"
Photos in VancouverSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Boston Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nîmes Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Les Baux-de-Provence Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue