"Vancouver -- welcome to the Wet Coast!" Vancouver by rwlittle

Vancouver Travel Guide: 4,077 reviews and 8,690 photos

Vancouver is named after the British explorer who charted this region of the world, Captain George Vancouver. Vancouver is a relatively young city, being rebuilt from scratch following the Great Fire of 1886. The greater Vancouver area is a thriving, livable metropolis, with many natural sights, one of the largest Chinatowns in North America, and many skiing locales nearby.

Visitors should plan to check out Stanley Park, the Capilano Suspension Bridge (across Burrard Inlet in West Vancouver), the beautiful University of British Columbia campus, and (if we're all lucky) a Canucks game.

How did I become so attached to rain?

The greater Vancouver area is the place I consider my home town. I grew up here, from the age of 8 to the age of 22, when I left for Kingston Ontario and grad school. My folks still live there, and I try to get home as often as possible.

I lived in Vancouver proper from 1990 to 1992, my last two years at the University of British Columbia getting my Bachelor's degree in physics. Every time I'm back home, I try to get out to campus to see how campus has been changing.

It doesn't rain here as much as people seem to think. The winter months can be quite dreary...but I will point out that the winters elsewhere on the continent involve snow, not rain. To a Vancouverite, snow belongs in the mountains--which are only a stone's throw away. The summer months have generally pleasurable weather: sunny and warm, and without overwhelming humidity.

Welcome to Hollywood North!

Since I was in high school, the greater Vancouver area has been transformed into a major movie and TV filming location. The first sign of this phenomenon I noticed was when they shut down my street for a couple of days when I was in high school to film some scenes of the movie "Runaway", starring Tom Selleck, Kirstie Alley, Cynthia Rhodes, and Gene Simmons (of KISS fame). I ended up as an extra in the movie (as well as most of the folks from the street).

When I moved on to attending UBC, I often nearly walked into scenes being filmed on campus for "21 Jumpstreet" and "MacGyver".

Since I moved away, filming has continued. I was dryly amused by the mountains of Vancouver serving as the backdrop for "Rumble in the Bronx". These days, "Smallville", "Stargate SG1", and "Battlestar Galactica" (that's the new series, not the old one) are the series I know are being filmed here. Battlestar Galactica I am sure of, because I recognized the Vancouver Public Library in last night's episode.

So, if you're visiting, you may want to keep an eye out for the stars!

• Last visit to Vancouver: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2006

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Vancouver is a lovely city.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY and hope you have a wonderful day no matter what part of the world you're currently in! ;) Cheers from Mexico!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 3:17 PM

Interesting tips on a city I'm hoping to visit. Glad to hear a car is not a necessity. After my Boston experience, I like to avoid driving in cities. ;)

rwlittle Used To Live Here!

rwlittle

“Fortune favours the bold”

Badges & Stats in Vancouver

Have you been to Vancouver?

Latest Activity in Vancouver