"Velkommen hen til København!" Copenhagen by rwlittle

Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,906 reviews and 9,834 photos

Welcome to Copenhagen!

(OK, I grant you, I used an on-line translator. I don't speak Danish. Let's hope it doesn't come across as "You're welcome to leave Copenhagen ASAP" or something like that...)

A few words about Copenhagen

Copenhagen's in Denmark. In fact, it's the capital of Denmark. There are lots of Danes living here in Copenhagen. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised that everyone I talked with (hotel, restaurants, the little camera shop I stopped in for more film) spoke perfect English. This was important to me, as I don't speak a bit of Danish. Generally I can get by in France or in England, because the locals in those countries both speak languages that I can more or less understand with only a bit of trouble. So, I'm very thankful to the friendly and helpful reception I received here in Copenhagen.

Now, a little about the history and sights of Copenhagen. The city is approximately one thousand years old. It is situated in a strategic point between the Baltic and North Seas, and the Vikings who populated the area founded the city in the 12th century to control the passage, and to also control their holdings in the Baltic. Copenhagen and Denmark have a long royal and expansionist history, and that has contributed to a large supply of fine architectural sights to see when visiting Copenhagen.

The days of empire have long since faded, of course, and Denmark has joined the European Union. Denmark has a fine reputation for science and engineering, and style. Denmark has a fine architectural heritage that you ignore only at your own peril.

A few things which stand out as highlights of Copenhagen... Hans Christian Anderson's mermaid statue is a must-see tourist trap for all visitors. Elsinore, of Hamlet fame, is a short train ride away. Similar to London, there's a changing of the guard at Amelienborg Slot...but you can get a little more up-close-and-personal here than at Buckingham Palace. Rundetarn offers great views of the city, and you can even see over to Sweden! And Tivoli, the world-famous amusement park, is located here in the downtown area as well.

The city is reasonably flat and walkable, with rail links to the airport. Denmark is a constitutional monarchy, so they haven't converted to the Euro, so you'll want to bring (or convert to) Danish Krone, or use your credit card or ATM card.

So, what was rwlittle doing in Copenhagen anyways?

I'd love to say that I was invited to the Wonderful Wedding, uniting Crown Prince Frederik to Australian Mary Elizabeth Donaldson, but such was not my lot in life. I just happened to be in town for the wedding weekend.

I happened to be in Denmark on one of my short-notice business trips (I think I had four or five days notice this time), and took advantage of the opportunity to get over to Copenhagen for two days to see the sights. I think I would have liked one more day to really do the place justice: I didn't get into see Tivoli, and didn't get out to see Elsinore. Armed with Time Out Copenhagen, a few tips I gathered here on VT, a good pair of walking shoes, and my camera, I did manage to see everything I could, and it was worth it!

• Last visit to Copenhagen: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Copenhagen in 2004. I went there in June of this year and had a great time cycling all around, also went to two operas at Operaen and Gamle Scene, and a concert at the new K3NC2R1 HUS4T. But I missed Ørsteds Parken.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Hi Richard. I really enjoyed your tips & insights on Copenhagen. I hope to visit this lovely city next summer... Hmmm, Carlsberg is a yummy beer... Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 6:41 PM

Hey Richard.. great page and tips. I could use it to plan my trip to Copenhagen. Have a wonderful birthday.:-)

• Marpessa's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2006 at 4:57 AM

Hey, thank you for your comment on my Copenhagen page :) I like the photos on yours - especially of the changing of the guards - great tips! :) Cassie

• el_ruso's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2005 at 9:22 AM

Very informative and well written page. I hope to visit there next year.

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2005 at 5:28 AM

hi richard! not too bad to be on a short-notice biz trip to denmark.. try being on shorter notice to niger then u might worry *lol* great pages, i was here last year about the same time as u!! strangers are just friends u haven't met yet, as they say ;)

• jonkb's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 12:32 AM

Lovely page with a lot of good tips. The next time you visit Scandinavia you should know that we all speak english. Jon

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 7:56 AM

Great tips on surprisingly beautiful city and... Carlsberg Beer :-) Cheers from Poland.

• Feb 27, 2005 at 12:30 PM

Hi Richard! Nice tips.I'm interested in Copenhagen. I'm going to travel there in August :D Thanks for sharing!!! Greetingz from Hungary

• TNPETER3's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2005 at 7:05 PM

Hey Richard, thanks for stopping by my Copenhagen page! Your pics remind me what a blast I had there! Hey, I think I'm in one of your wedding pics! ha ha Cheers!

rwlittle

“Fortune favours the bold”

Badges & Stats in Copenhagen

Have you been to Copenhagen?

Latest Activity in Copenhagen