"Welcome to Les Baux de Provence" Top 5 Page for this destination Les Baux-de-Provence by rwlittle
Les Baux-de-Provence Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 183 photos
Les Baux was the site of a citadel of powerful mideval feudal lords, who commanded over the valley below. The citadel was destroyed in 1632 by the French king, as it had become a Protestant enclave. What remains now are the ruined citadel, a cute village below, and family entertainment by way of reproduced mideval weapons of war, and re-enactments.
Bauxite (named after les Baux) was discovered near here.
We were staying in Arles during our 2003 vacation in France, and caught the local/regional bus to les Baux. Our bus to les Baux was 45 minutes late in arriving in Arles, and our fellow bus-mates turned out to be a couple from Quebec City also on their way to the citadel. Being nervous about the bussing situation, they proposed and we agreed to meet again for the return bus trip at 5pm; in the event that the bus didn't show, we could all share a taxi back to Arles. After touring the citadel, we did meet up with the couple, and the bus did not arrive, so we did in fact share the taxi, driven by an old woman who drove us at excessively high speeds back to the Arles bus depot. It's great when fellow travelers can pull together like that!
Apparently the lords of les Baux kept doves, you can see the dovecoves in the photo to the left of the ruins. more travel advice
In this photo, you can see the first part of the citadel ruins we saw, including some of the foundations. The citadel... more travel advice
rwlittle's Related Pages
Les Baux-de-Provence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Les Baux de Provence"
- "The Ruined Castle and Remains of Les Baux"
- "A Village in the Rocks"
- "Les Baux-de-Provence"
- "1964 in South France"
- "A destination or a day trip"
- "A great feeling - Baux-de-Provence!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Hotels in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Transportation in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Restaurants in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Shopping in Les Baux-de-Provence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Les Baux-de-Provence
- 9 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Les Baux-de-Provence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: Left-handedness!"
- Commented on one of catherineneill's Les Baux-de-Provence travel pages
- updated a Les Baux-de-Provence Travel Page "Welcome to Les Baux de Provence"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Random photos from les Baux"
- Wrote a Review beware the local buses! in Les Baux-de-Provence Transportation
Photos in Les Baux-de-ProvenceSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Boston Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nîmes Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Les Baux-de-Provence Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue