"Nimes, and Pont du Gard" Top 5 Page for this destination Nîmes by rwlittle

Nîmes Travel Guide: 236 reviews and 531 photos

Welcome to the birthplace of denim!

The third stop on our 2003 vacation in France...

We arrived in Nimes on May 6th, from Carcassonne, by train, and took a taxi to our hotel. After checking in, we started walking the city to see the sights.

Nimes was settled by Gauls, and then claimed and fortified by the Romans. There are signs all throughout the city of the Roman era: an amphitheatre, Roman buildings, Roman walls, and even the sight where the Roman Pont du Gard delivered water to nourish the city. The original settlement was located at a natural spring, but the needs of the city must have far outstripped the spring in Roman times, necessitating the building of the great Roman acqueduct.

In more recent times, the fabric denim ("de Nimes") was developed here.

Being early May, various plants were in bloom. There was something in the air which sent Michelle's allergies going, and my eyes watering and nose running as well. I'm not convinced I was having an allergic reaction, as I've never been allergic to anything before; I think that the air was just so thick with pollen, that my body was forced to conduct purging operations. Ugh.

A Roman engineering marvel!

This aqueduct and bridge was built approximately 2000 years ago by the Romans, to bring water to Nimes. On May 7th, we took a local bus from the Nimes bus station (near the train station), and toured the Pont du Gard. As opposed to our bus trip to les Baux, the buses ran on time, both there and back. We snacked on sandwiches and fruit by the river, after having crossed the bridge.

Map of Nimes

I think I got this map from the tourist office website...

• Last visit to Nîmes: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 11, 2005

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 5:36 AM

Will be visiting in May on a halfday tour from Avignon. Looking forwards to it.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2006 at 10:15 PM

this region of france is very beautiful , but living there is not so funny, I have 1 ou 2 friends who had to leave the city because of high criminality

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 6:48 AM

Too bad about the pollen, but I hope you enjoyed your visit just the same. Never knew about the fabric denim ("de Nimes") being developed here. I stayed in Nimes for five days once (also in May) while I was on a bicycle trip from Barcelona to Frankfurt.

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 7:10 PM

oh, i live 10 minutes from richmond hill...come visit!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 8:24 AM

Very good sugestions of points to visit. The Roman Amphiteatre looks great!

• Feb 28, 2005 at 4:38 AM

Thanks for your comment. Far more than for practical reasons, the Pont du Gard was built by the Romans to show the magnificence of their civilization.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2005 at 7:46 AM

Hi Richard, Carol and I are just starting our research for next European trip (just back from Italy and itchin' to go again). Southern France seems to appeal to us. Love the Roman stuff too. Thanks...Tom

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2004 at 5:50 AM

So nice of you to stop by my Nimes page. I'm still working on it so your pages are very informative. Nimes was a very special place. Lori.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 6:36 AM

Nimes was great, but so was nearby Avignon. I have to go back to explore further, like the Camargue :D.

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2004 at 8:09 PM

Again, a nice page on a charming French village. Love the Roman ruins!

rwlittle

“Fortune favours the bold”

Badges & Stats in Nîmes