"Nimes, and Pont du Gard" Top 5 Page for this destination Nîmes by rwlittle
Nîmes Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 498 photos
The third stop on our 2003 vacation in France...
We arrived in Nimes on May 6th, from Carcassonne, by train, and took a taxi to our hotel. After checking in, we started walking the city to see the sights.
Nimes was settled by Gauls, and then claimed and fortified by the Romans. There are signs all throughout the city of the Roman era: an amphitheatre, Roman buildings, Roman walls, and even the sight where the Roman Pont du Gard delivered water to nourish the city. The original settlement was located at a natural spring, but the needs of the city must have far outstripped the spring in Roman times, necessitating the building of the great Roman acqueduct.
In more recent times, the fabric denim ("de Nimes") was developed here.
Being early May, various plants were in bloom. There was something in the air which sent Michelle's allergies going, and my eyes watering and nose running as well. I'm not convinced I was having an allergic reaction, as I've never been allergic to anything before; I think that the air was just so thick with pollen, that my body was forced to conduct purging operations. Ugh.
This aqueduct and bridge was built approximately 2000 years ago by the Romans, to bring water to Nimes. On May 7th, we took a local bus from the Nimes bus station (near the train station), and toured the Pont du Gard. As opposed to our bus trip to les Baux, the buses ran on time, both there and back. We snacked on sandwiches and fruit by the river, after having crossed the bridge.
I think I got this map from the tourist office website...
We liked our time in this hotel, the room was comfortable, the hotel felt secure, and the hotel was within walking... more travel advice
We ate in this area at least once. There are a number of restaurants with outside seating in this little square. The... more travel advice
rwlittle's Related Pages
Nîmes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A very french break"
- "NIMES AND PONT DU GARD"
- "For the Roman remains, of course......."
- "Nimes, and Pont du Gard"
- "Roman Nimes"
- "Nimes in 24 hours! by Ryanair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nîmes
- Hotels in Nîmes
- Transportation in Nîmes
- Nightlife in Nîmes
- Restaurants in Nîmes
- Shopping in Nîmes
- Warnings and Dangers in Nîmes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nîmes
- 12 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Nîmes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nîmes
Photos in NîmesSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Boston Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nîmes Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Les Baux-de-Provence Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue