"JERUSALEM - the city of David" Jerusalem by tzuki
Jerusalem Travel Guide: 1,881 reviews and 5,396 photos
Jerusalem has always been the crossroads between different races and worlds. In a very small space are concentrated the Wailing Wall, the Omar Mosque and the Holy Sepulchre which are the most important sacred sites of the three principal monotheistic religions. Jews, Arabs, Muslims, Christians all live together however maintaining their own identities.
Jerusalem has been involved in many battles, but has always retained its own identity. It is a city with low houses and narrow streets, along with ancient realities living side by side.
For many people, Jerusalem is considered the Eternal city – so the centre of the Universe. Rising from undulating hills with deep valley, it is a metropolis geographically divided but at the same time spiritually united; Jerusalem possesses the capability of touching the spirit and ignite the imagination.
Jerusalem falls into three areas. The Jewish West is a busy and modern city, where the government is (called the Knesset). East Jerusalem is largely Arab and contains mosques, low sandstone houses and fascinating sites like the Mount of Olives. At the heart of Jerusalem is the Old city (which some parts are dated of 3000 years old).
The name "Jesus" derived from a Greek version of the Hebrew name Joshua (or Yehoshuah, meaning ´Jehovah is deliverance´).
The title "Christ" comes from the Greek word, Christos, in Hebrew ´Mashiakh or Messiah´.
"Christ" was used by Jesus´ early followers, who regarded him as the promised deliverer of Israel and later it was included as part of Jesus´ proper name by the church, which regards him as the redeemer of all humanity.
- Pros:A lot of history to learn about...
- Cons:Big differences between quartiers and religions!
- In a nutshell:Jerusalem touched my heart!
Via Dolorosa or The Way of the Cross was the route taken by Jesus from the Praetorium where he ws condemned to death to... more travel advice
There are different sites inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and entering the Ethiopean part you can find other non... more travel advice
tzuki's Related Pages
Jerusalem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jerusalem–the Foundation Stone of three Religions"
- "The Spirit of Jerusalem"
- "Jerusalem: Monotheism's Controversial Capital"
- "Jerusalem - The capital of Israel"
- "The most special city in the world"
- "Martin_S.'s Jerusalem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerusalem
- Hotels in Jerusalem
- Transportation in Jerusalem
- Nightlife in Jerusalem
- Restaurants in Jerusalem
- Shopping in Jerusalem
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerusalem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerusalem
- 7 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Jerusalem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerusalem
- Posted in Travel Isle of Man Forum "IoM 2011"
- Commented on one of iblatt's Jerusalem travel pages
- Wrote a Review Known as well The Way of the Cross about Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Known as well The Way of the Cross"
- updated a Jerusalem Travel Page "JERUSALEM - the city of David"
Photos in JerusalemSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 34 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucca Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Valencia Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salamanca Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Israel Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos