"Perche no Perugia?" Perugia by raintown4
Perugia Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 373 photos
We had not intended to visit Perugia. Our tentative itinerary for this day was to visit Assisi or explore the Etruscan byways of southernmost Tuscany. The problem was that our luggage was still (3 days and counting) in the Alitalia black hole and we were beginning to suspect that we would never see it again. The clothing shortage was especially acute for Marisa and only slightly less so for Alice. Eli and I were doing OK with washing a few items each night in the bathroom sink.
We decided to go to Perugia because we knew it was a college town and figured that we would find some decent shopping. The shopping was indeed successful but the surprise was that we loved Perugia!The drive from Pienza to Perugia was unexceptional and no problem. Getting to the parking at Piazza Partigiani was another story. After driving around in circles for a bit, we stopped at a gas station to ask for directions. Alice got out and approached 2 men sitting at a table having a smoke. After a moment of talking, one of the men was on his way to his car, motioning me to follow him. We were not as close to the parking lot as we had thought. We followed him for a good 5 minutes through intersections and winding roads before he waved us into the lot.
We parked and took the "Scala Mobile" up to Corso Vannucci. The Scala Mobile is a series of escalators through an ancient underground tunnel- very cool! Once up on the traffic free Corso Vannucci, a Benetton was spotted and the shopping began.
As far as we are concerned, Perugia has it all. Over the course of ~6 hours we shopped, had an OK lunch and great gelato, went to the excellent Perugino exhibit at the Galleria Nazionale, walked on the acquedetto, visited the huge Museo Acheologico Nazionale dell' Umbria, the wildly ornate basilica of San Pietro and the medieval gardens of Orto Botanico.
PREVIOUS DESTINATION: SIENA
NEXT DESTINATION: FLORENCE
- Pros:several days worth of sites
- Cons:driving in the city
- In a nutshell:Perugia has it all- well worth a visit
This is a huge museum full of Etruscan funerary monuments and statuary and all sorts of metal and glasswork. We... more travel advice
Incredibly ornate interior. More Perugino. The floors, the paintings, the columns, the woodwork. This is a must see if... more travel advice
raintown4's Related Pages
Perugia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perugia - Umbria Jazz 2003"
- "Perugia, Dolci and Jazz"
- "Un saluto dalla citta del cioccolato"
- "A quiet university town when school isn't in!"
- "Perugia - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!"
- "Perche no Perugia?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Perugia
- Hotels in Perugia
- Transportation in Perugia
- Nightlife in Perugia
- Restaurants in Perugia
- Shopping in Perugia
- Warnings and Dangers in Perugia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Perugia
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Perugia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perugia
Photos in PerugiaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Pienza Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Perugia Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ascoli Piceno Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Lopud Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zaton Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Siena Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krka National Park Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.