"Symi, Dodecanese Island" Symi by Custodyspice
Symi Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 366 photos
I spent a day in Symi whilst in Rhodes. A short boat trip from Rhodes Island, Symi is also close to Turkey. It is mountainous and rocky, but also has pine forests. The only way to get around the island is by boat. The houses sit steep and resemble sugar cubes. Symi used to be famous for sponge diving and boat building, but tourism has now taken over.
Symi is divided into two parts - Gailos, the port/harbour with tavernas, bars and cafes. Shops sell sponges and spices. Chorio is the quieter upper part which is more picturesque with lots of cobbled alleyways. There are 350 steep steps to link the two parts. Not for the faint hearted.
Alot of people, such as myself, arrive in Symi by boat from Rhodes on a day trip. There are no roads on Symi as such,... more travel advice
Custodyspice's Related Pages
Symi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Symi..A place to return to again and again and ..."
- "Light and Shade of Symi"
- "Symi Town"
- "CHARMING SYMI"
- "Simy Island"
- "Symi, Dodecanese Island"
- "Sailing to the wonderful Symi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Symi
- Hotels in Symi
- Transportation in Symi
- Nightlife in Symi
- Restaurants in Symi
- Shopping in Symi
- Warnings and Dangers in Symi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Symi
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Symi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Symi
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Maldives Intro, 12 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sheringham Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Phuket Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Cairns Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Symi Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Llanberis Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos