"I have been looking unto the world..." Mcclovis's Profile
I'm in my thirties. I come from Malta - no you won't be able to see it on the travel map on this site. I live to travel - I belong to the animal kingdom not the plant, after all.
I'm a very normal person though you'll never find me following a crowd. That makes me a normal eccentric! Life fascinates me and so do the diverse human cultures as they try to manifest this strange phenomenon of living. Meeting new people is something I like to do very much in any way possible: travelling, correspondence, chatting, etc.
I am a teacher and I love my job. I also like reading, writing letters, IT, music (particularly the oboe), collecting stuff, foreign languages, well anything from which I can learn. Now I'm into postcard swapping.
I am at war with ignorance and closed minds. My weapons are education, respect, tolerance, patience, friendship, an open mind and, above all, peace.
The "Terror" in "terrorism" is not the terror of the ever-increasing drug abuse figures among young people nor the alarming rate of destruction of our natural heritage. It is a nebulous, foggy, psychological ploy used by democratic, often capitalistic, governments to close the mind and control people just as dictators and despots use guns and secret police with similar results. When you kill innocent people, even if for a good cause, that is plainly a crime (not terrorism) and when you just look on injustice without doing anything that is a crime too. Both crimes can be due to ignorance and undoubtedly a closed mind.
The war on "Terror" would be more effective if people learn more about each other. Countries are different and one system of values or lifestyle, such as democracy, theocracy, capitalism, monarchy or communism, which works in one place may not be so appropriate for another. Knowing about others helps us to cherish justice and freedom. We learn to respect and allow others to live harmoniously. There are some societies which need an overhaul but change, if done rapidly and recklessly, will cause more harm than the good.
Mix the separate colours of the rainbow and all you get is black.
I haven't been to many countries and my wish list is very long. I do not know where to start from!
Whenever I visit a country I go there for a reason. Not for a fleeting moment. I mean I try to live the place.
Countries I've been on:
1975 - the longer the better > Malta (I live there)
September 1999 > Venezia, Italia (visited a penpal)
August 2000 > Trondheim, Norway (visited another penpal)
August 2005 > Sana'a, Yemen (Arabic language course at SIAL)
July/August 2006 > Damascus, Syria (visit my friend, learn Arabic, meet other people)
December 2007/January 2008 > Bethlehem, Palestine and nearby cities in Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories (visit a friend, meet other people, seeing the Palestinian situation while in it.)
This is one of the best pictures I have as a traveller. I am on a bus on my way to Aleppo from Damascus. I appear relaxed and satisfied although rather pensive and with an expectant expression. The photographer has a natural talent for taking pictures and making his subjects look good. Thanks Rami.
Damascus, Syria. (Photo is from Google earth) I shall return!
My definition of Palestine is a small area of land where you find the newest, the oldest, the friendliest, the cruellest, the most beautiful, the ugliest, the holiest, the most accursed, the warmest and the coldest. No wonder it always makes headlines on world news but it is one thing watching it on TV and another being there.
Personal Pages (2)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 35 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- Mcclovis and maykal are now friends.
- Commented on pattayaraj's profile page
- updated a Israel Travel Page "Israel's main activity"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Palestine"
- Wrote a Review Caves of the Patriarchs in Hebron Things to Do
updated their Profile Page "I have been looking unto the world..."
- Posted in Travel Malta Forum "RE: RE: Working opportunities in..."
Top 10 Pages
- Yemen Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Qal`at Sahyun Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Damascus Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Sanaa Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latakia Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Venice Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hebron Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kawkaban Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Malta Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22160 Reviews - 53864 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15525 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4448 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4270 Reviews - 8783 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19444 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos