"I have been looking unto the world..." Mcclovis's Profile
I'm in my thirties. I come from Malta - no you won't be able to see it on the travel map on this site. I live to travel - I belong to the animal kingdom not the plant, after all.
I'm a very normal person though you'll never find me following a crowd. That makes me a normal eccentric! Life fascinates me and so do the diverse human cultures as they try to manifest this strange phenomenon of living. Meeting new people is something I like to do very much in any way possible: travelling, correspondence, chatting, etc.
I am a teacher and I love my job. I also like reading, writing letters, IT, music (particularly the oboe), collecting stuff, foreign languages, well anything from which I can learn. Now I'm into postcard swapping.
I am at war with ignorance and closed minds. My weapons are education, respect, tolerance, patience, friendship, an open mind and, above all, peace.
The "Terror" in "terrorism" is not the terror of the ever-increasing drug abuse figures among young people nor the alarming rate of destruction of our natural heritage. It is a nebulous, foggy, psychological ploy used by democratic, often capitalistic, governments to close the mind and control people just as dictators and despots use guns and secret police with similar results. When you kill innocent people, even if for a good cause, that is plainly a crime (not terrorism) and when you just look on injustice without doing anything that is a crime too. Both crimes can be due to ignorance and undoubtedly a closed mind.
The war on "Terror" would be more effective if people learn more about each other. Countries are different and one system of values or lifestyle, such as democracy, theocracy, capitalism, monarchy or communism, which works in one place may not be so appropriate for another. Knowing about others helps us to cherish justice and freedom. We learn to respect and allow others to live harmoniously. There are some societies which need an overhaul but change, if done rapidly and recklessly, will cause more harm than the good.
Mix the separate colours of the rainbow and all you get is black.
I haven't been to many countries and my wish list is very long. I do not know where to start from!
Whenever I visit a country I go there for a reason. Not for a fleeting moment. I mean I try to live the place.
Countries I've been on:
1975 - the longer the better > Malta (I live there)
September 1999 > Venezia, Italia (visited a penpal)
August 2000 > Trondheim, Norway (visited another penpal)
August 2005 > Sana'a, Yemen (Arabic language course at SIAL)
July/August 2006 > Damascus, Syria (visit my friend, learn Arabic, meet other people)
December 2007/January 2008 > Bethlehem, Palestine and nearby cities in Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories (visit a friend, meet other people, seeing the Palestinian situation while in it.)
This is one of the best pictures I have as a traveller. I am on a bus on my way to Aleppo from Damascus. I appear relaxed and satisfied although rather pensive and with an expectant expression. The photographer has a natural talent for taking pictures and making his subjects look good. Thanks Rami.
Damascus, Syria. (Photo is from Google earth) I shall return!
My definition of Palestine is a small area of land where you find the newest, the oldest, the friendliest, the cruellest, the most beautiful, the ugliest, the holiest, the most accursed, the warmest and the coldest. No wonder it always makes headlines on world news but it is one thing watching it on TV and another being there.
Personal Pages (2)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 35 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- Mcclovis and maykal are now friends.
- Commented on pattayaraj's profile page
- updated a Israel Travel Page "Israel's main activity"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Palestine"
- Wrote a Review Caves of the Patriarchs in Hebron Things to Do
updated their Profile Page "I have been looking unto the world..."
- Posted in Travel Malta Forum "RE: RE: Working opportunities in..."
Top 10 Pages
- Yemen Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Qal`at Sahyun Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Damascus Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Sanaa Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latakia Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Venice Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hebron Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kawkaban Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Malta Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos