"Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney" Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland by scotlandscotour
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,511 reviews and 27,422 photos
Scotland Travel Tips and Advice - Scotland Edinburgh, Orkney, Skye, Glasgow, Highlands - Honest travel advice from a local!
Welcome to My Scotland - Discover the truth, in my honest and sincere advice and travel tips. Feel free to contact me if you want help planning a tour, driving itineraries, advice on the best places to stay, cheap accommodation like hostels, bed and breakfast and good hotels. I am passionate about Scotland, chose to live here but I am disappointed by the tourist information and standards - so I try here to save you money where it matters and make a visit better by giving honest tips and advice for free. Best of luck.
Scotland : land of mountains, castles, whisky, broody lochs, white beaches and storm smashed cliffs ...
... music, fresh air, friendly people, wild weather, great seafood and endless history!
In Scotland there is still a sense of 'community' and a willingness to help strangers. On the down side, Scotland is still troubled by poor health due to cigarettes, alcohol and fatty food. Now, that is all a huge generalisation. When you come here you will discover Scotland is huge, with so many distinct regions and accents, amazing scenery, a richness of history unsurpassed, and far too much to see in a hurry.
Rachel and I met whilst on the Isle of Skye and lived in Perth for two years. Since May 2005 we have lived on the Orkney Islands - once part of Scandinavia and now the centre piece of a tour of Scotland. Indeed, it is my honest opinion that to discover Scotland you have to visit atleast one of these Northern Isles, one Western Isle and Edinburgh. Inverness makes a good place to aim for, with its airport and good rail / bus links to most of the "must see" locations, but don't hang around - get out to the coast and the magic of the sea meeting the land and sky.
See my home page too - much more about Scotland there, and on all other pages. I have tried with real honesty, to tell you about Scotland, as it really is. This is intended for those of you who want to visit, and is to give you an idea of what you will discover, good and bad, yet keep the element of surprise, delight and discovery! We encourage you to use all five senses when you travel to imerse yourself in the place and for a while become part of that world, that time. Enjoy Scotland!
To over come the problem of expensive / overpriced accommodation read my Accommodation UK Tip. I have inspected and tested more places than most - specialising in hostels and budget / value stays.
As I write, in September 2005, the sun shines, everywhere is so Green, it is lush and alive. The countryside is at its best, and the cities are alive with students and visitors.
Read about Cattle Drovers
Listen to Scottish Music Now
Scottish Food Recipes
The Oldest House in Europe - Orkney Scotland is 5,500 year old Knap of Howar on Papa Westray, Orkney Islands, Scotland.
Many people have heard of the World Heritage Sites on the Orkney Islands in the north of Scotland. The most famous part of that being the Neolithic (new stone age) village now called Skara Brae which is a collection of 10 small stone hut like chambers, called houses. The oldest at Skara Brae are about 5,100 years old with most 4,500 years old - all dates around the time of the Egyptian Empire ad before the Great Pyramids or the huge trilathons of Stonehenge in England.
What you see at Skara Brae and get excited about - the stone furniture, fire hearth and alcoves, all evidence of obvious design and planning combined with real stone working skills and intelligence - is of the earlier dates, 4,500 years old.
Orkney and Scotland hold another impressive secret from the past - a hands on, real house from even further back in time - at the Knap of Howar, on the small island called Papa Westray. This house (pictured) is dated to be at least 5,500 years old ... a good 400 years older than Skara Brae.
And here is the magic - the reward for travelling here - there is no-one else there, no tourists, no shop, nothing! And it is free. It is like a great secret! Just so long as people respect it and do no harm to the place it should stay like this - saved by being somewhat remote, on a little island.
But one more secret - there is a plane that will fly you there for only 12 pounds (return) and in doing give you a scenic tour of the other islands! So, suddenly it is not remote, just not on the tourist trail - long may that continue.
<- View full size if possible!
This is the view from the top ramparts of Doune Castle, near Stirling and Edinburgh - overlooking trees as green as I have ever seen, bathed in a warm evening light.
If you can bravely ignore the guide books and the beaten paths of tourism for a moment, there are many such places to discover in Scotland.
We came here because of it's connection with filming Monty Python's Holy Grail, and discovered a beautiful, charming, fun and very real castle, which we could clamber over and explore. I'd like you to find the same.
For more like this, browse my pages - I hope you get a feel for the REAL Scotland. Also see Rachel's external website. Feel free to write for honest, local advice - free and from the heart. I want you to find the unique and special aspects to life - not just where others have trod before. This is the potential power of Virtualtourist - finding real people, like minded folk, who care! Enjoy!
- Pros:Whisky, Standing Stones, Mountains, Castles, Music, Historic Sites, Safe, Fresh Air, Friendly People, Stunning Scenery
- Cons:Hotels Overpriced; "tourist tat" everywhere the tourists go, variable weather, cost of fuel.
- In a nutshell:A Place to Discover Your Self - Best Part of UK - Land of Magic!
There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about dialling numbers, in the UK (ie Scotland, England, Wales and Northern... more travel advice
Have a look at the Highland Rover ticket offered by Scotrail - see the link below. This offers you real flexibility and... more travel advice
- See All Stay with the Locals - for free
- See All The Highland Clearances - Fishing...
- See All Hidden Secrets of the Past - Exploring...
- See All Megabus Fails To Show Up
- See All A Superb Cycle Tour - To Isle of Skye
- See All Snow Capped Beaks
- See All Whisky, Music, Dance, Laughter ......
- See All Cairngorm "Funny Car" - Fleecing...
- See All Fresh and Delicious Food, Every Time!
- Instant Barbeque Packs - All The Rage in...
- Four Seasons in One Day! Ever Changing...
Been to Scotland?Share your travels with the world!
Written Sep 10, 2005
A Letter to America ... Why Scotland
Written Jan 18, 2005
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Île Bizard Hotels
- United States of America
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Hotels
- Corpus Christi Hotels
- Laughlin Hotels
- Garrapata State Park Hotels
- North America
- Wennappuwa Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 361 Reviews
- 346 Photos
- 142 Forum posts
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Wrote a Review The Best - as chosen by you in Scotland Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Public Transport Nightmare"
- Commented on one of Florida999's Scotland travel pages
- updated a Scotland Travel Page "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (107)
Top Scotland hotels
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3409 Reviews - 6784 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1241 Reviews - 2065 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 887 Photos
- Inverness Hotels
- 339 Reviews - 758 Photos
- Oban Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 343 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Melrose Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Pitlochry Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 192 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Ayr Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Stirling Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 751 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Arrochar Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Peebles Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 22 Photos