United Kingdom Hotel Tips by scotlandscotour Top 5 Page for this destination
United Kingdom Hotels: 265 reviews and 345 photos
Bunk Beds - a typical hostel bed - Scotland
Any visitor to the UK will discover accommodation and food (with travel) to be expensive and often poor value for money.
Some excellent places exist, but there is little consistency or guarantee. So no surprise that "tourist style" hostel accommodation, costing only 10 - 15 pounds per night, (with the use of a kitchen), is so popular. Private rooms are rapidly becoming available but book early - or come "off-season".
Warning - Scotland Hostel Reviews Tips - See who has written the hostel review and don't take one review to be true - see the place from different perspectives. Many reviews on the web are being written by hostel staff or by unscrupulous operators. Don't trust overly positive tips and reviews!
Bed & Breakfast
For those of you wanting pampering and high quality without hotel rip-off prices - check out The Best B&Bs Website
It all started in the 1930's.
UK Youth Hostels began - providing cheap accommodation for young people - so they could get to visit countryside, away from their urban homes, which otherwise they could not afford to see. The idea was to discover places, the countryside, history and fresh air, exercise and friends. It grew into a mass activity, with adults too getting out into the countryside, on bikes, foot and hitch hiking, or by bus and train. Later by car.
There were hundreds of hostels, run by a Youth Hostel Association, in Scotland the SYHA, affiliated to an international federation (Hostelling International).
Then Privately owned hostels began to appear, and now they out number the YHA hostels in Scotland. There are hundreds of hostels in the UK, run by either the YHA / SYHA, or by private owners and businesses not affiliated to them - hence being known as "Independents".
Hostels can be small huts, huge city centre "hotels", historic castles and mansions, remote cottages, bizarre wigwams, and other crazy constructions. Standards and facilities are as variable as the people who use them.
Unique Qualities: They generally use bunk beds (but also increasingly have singles and doubles, private rooms and so on - infact any combination possible - including a shared sleeping platform, "Alpine Style"). This usually means sharing a sleeping room with others - which dramatically reduces costs, whilst giving a reasonable revenue for the room space to the operator.
Toilets and washing facilities are of course there too, in some form, and some sort of kitchen.
The big thing with hostels is an equipped kitchen, where you can cook food, meaning massive cost savings, freedom to eat when and what you choose, and often this is complemented by a budget food service from the operator.
Generally there are also communal lounges, facilities for washing clothes and drying them. In mountain or sports areas, facilities are geared for specialist users, and their equipment.
In cities, the accommodation is heavily biased towards the young backpacker / gap year / student user, with minimal cooking space. Emphasis here is on enjoying the city life, and bars and music are common. They are lively, where as country hostels can be very peaceful.
Every hostel is different - both a blessing and a dilema. But nowadays standards are upheld and enforced to some degree, by compliance with legal and self-regulating bodies. The most powerful tool though remains customer feedback and rating - so use Virtual Tourist to discover the truth about Scottish Hostels.
Don't trust overly positive reviews! Especially for city hostels.
See who has written the review and don't take one review to be true - see the place from different perspectives. Many reviews on the web are being written by staff or by unscrupulous operators.
I have worked in hostels in England, Wales and Scotland, and also hostelled in Europe and Americas. I have no vested interest or connection with any hostel business.
Back to my Scotland Tips or Homepage
Address: Youth Hostel Association
Comparison: least expensive
Other Contact: www.hostel-scotland.co.uk
Price: less than US$20
Infront Of Bruntsfield Youth Hostel - Edinburgh
Read this: www.bootsnall.com/hostels/why
Below are a few useful web links for hostels and quality "budget" accommodation in the UK.
The Hosteworld and BUG Europe sites are good beceause they incluse ratings by guests, giving you some slight hint of what to expect - information to supplement the grading by Tourist Boards ( A very contentious and criticised issue - because the grading is unable to measure or appreciate much that makes a "communal" and unusual / quirky place).
Take the reviews of hostels on these sites (and that includes VT) with a big pinch of salt! The quality and accuracy of ratings is often skewed by those with a vested interest rating or getting friends / staff to rate their own businesses. However, that aside, there are very genuine and helpful comments by previous guests - well worth reading. And remember, everyone has a different perspective and standard. If in doubt - ask me!
Unique Qualities: Some useful websites:-
BUG Hostel Reviews Scotland
YHA England & Wales
IBHS Independent Hostels Scotland - "Blue Guide"
Scottish Tourist Board Accommodation
Address: UK - all over - see web links for details
Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$20
More Reviews (25)
- Fluorescent Yellow Clothing Everywhere
- Megabus Fails To Show Up
- See All Megabus Fails To Show Up
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "Christmas 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Explore the World
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando South-Davenport
- Golden Tulip Bad Boekelo
- Mountainview Motel
- Hilton Pensacola Beach Gulf Front
- EJ Bowman House B&B
- Barcelo Costa Cancun
- Xtabi on the Cliffs
- The Phoenician
- Hotel de la Gare
- Amber Tides Motel
- Comfort Suites Fieldstone Way
- Freienhof Swiss Quality Hotel Thun
- Casa Cody Palm Springs
- Hilton Ras Al Khaimah
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 430 Reviews
- 402 Photos
- 189 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Wrote a Review Fluorescent Yellow Clothing Everywhere in United Kingdom Local Customs
- updated a United Kingdom Travel Page "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Megabus Fails To Show Up"
- Commented on one of blint's United Kingdom travel pages
Read real reviews about United Kingdom Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
Top United Kingdom hotels
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Blackpool Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 891 Photos
- Llandudno Hotels
- 243 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3409 Reviews - 6784 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 1741 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Torquay Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 352 Photos
- York Hotels
- 1631 Reviews - 3979 Photos
- Bournemouth Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 462 Photos
- Scarborough Hotels
- 276 Reviews - 409 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1241 Reviews - 2065 Photos
- Eastbourne Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 207 Photos
- Whitby Hotels
- 355 Reviews - 743 Photos
- Liverpool Hotels
- 1280 Reviews - 2297 Photos
- Birmingham Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1269 Photos
- Chester Hotels
- 471 Reviews - 1183 Photos