"A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information" United Kingdom by scotlandscotour
United Kingdom Travel Guide: 99,412 reviews and 246,906 photos
I keep exploring the UK, and I will try to help you discover it too ... The truth about places - the good and bad.
For a list of my Top 40 Things to See in UK Click Here and for a complete list of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in UK follow UNESCO and scroll down :-)
Fish & Chips!
You must try Fish and Chips whilst in the UK, and in particular Scotland - home of many fishing harbours and a whole way of life (sadly threatened now by overfishing).
The big problem is where to buy good food??? Most places serving Fish and Chips are aweful, and as most visitors are keen to try, its usually the dismal, the unhealthy and the disgusting they try - once! Blurgh.
So, save the tasting until you get to a Quality Assured Fish and Chip shop, close to where the fish is caught and the potatoes grown and busy with healthy looking locals!!!
Are you confused ... what exactly is "Britain", or "the UK", and, what is the difference? Where do "England", "Scotland" and "Wales" fit in this picture? What about Ireland? Do they all speak English? Are they all "British"? London is the capital ... but it's confusing :-)
Why drive on the left side of the road? Why this obsession with Tea when it grows in India, Africa and not Europe?
A Queen, yes but she is really a Hereditary Head of State, (who this time is a woman). What is her power, her wealth??
Kilts, bagpipes, whisky. Sheep and mountains. Stone walls, roses, cottages, hedgerows, winding narrow roads ....
Some answers .... I have started in my tips, to point you towards the answers, or at least an understanding. click on this link then scroll down.
Red telephone boxes, village post offices, stone houses ...
... look at my pictures full size, and enjoy My World - hundreds of interesting pictures and tips!
Start with Scotland my home. Then England where my parents grew up, and Wales, where I was born and grew up. Ireland was forever, just across the sea, as it still is, with all the many tiny islands of the British Isles.
*** Accommodation ***
For information on good value accommodation in Britain, I advise you read up on the "Hostel Movement" - with hundreds of cheap places to stay, even more value by providing a kitchen you can use! Go to my tip for a start, and the history of hostels, links etc.
News! - G8 Summit 2005 coming to Gleneagles - Scotland ! (July 05, see also protests in Edinburgh!).
I really recommend reading my Scotland Travel Tips
- Pros:Old fashioned, polite, patchwork fields, a mix of cultures and landscapes, tea, the queen, windy roads, green, pleasant island, Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, "The North", English spoken in many accents.
- Cons:Dirty, expensive, nothing seems to work, class and wealth, falling apart, empire, right-wing, petrol prices, no trees left, urban sprawl, supermarkets, rubbish food, terrible service, drab clothes, unhealthy population, house prices ...
- In a nutshell:The Nut. Mad, eccentric, inexplicable, loveable old relative, infuriating yet wonderful. Just falling apart, slowely going to seed!
Sunglasses needed! Lots of people in the UK are wearing bright fluorescent yellow jackets - luckily it is not sunny so... more travel advice
My wife and I were left stranded in Edinburgh on 31st December, when our bus failed to show up. We had paid in advance... more travel advice
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "East, West, Home is Best."
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 430 Reviews
- 402 Photos
- 189 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Wrote a Review Fluorescent Yellow Clothing Everywhere in United Kingdom Local Customs
- updated a United Kingdom Travel Page "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Megabus Fails To Show Up"
- Commented on one of blint's United Kingdom travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos