"Cairngorms National Park - Outdoor Sports" Top 5 Page for this destination Aviemore by scotlandscotour
Aviemore Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 77 photos
The largest expanse of wilderness in Scotland! Unique in Britain, the Cairngorms are synonimous with adventure, wilderness, sport, wildlife, rare species and open space. All ages and fitness come to ski, climb, bike, walk, fish and relax!
Its a place to explore, get away from everyone, to discover the Scottish environment and enjoy fresh air and healthy living, (then visit the many whisky distilleries of Speyside! )
Plus there is River Spey Salmon & Trout fishing, there's Ospreys and Eagles, Reindeer and Red Squirrels, Ptarmigan and Capercaillie, Hairy Cows and Hairy Cyclists!
The area around Aviemore is now just as popular for its more gentle walks, around lochs and castles, nature reserves and lochs for sailing, canoeing and birdwatching.
Aviemore was once a small village and resting place on the journey north, a place to rest ponies, drink some ale and get your head down.
Then the railway came, opened up this delightful area to tourism and skiing developed on the northern flanks of the Cairngorm mountains.
Nowadays, Aviemore is a service centre and hub of the social life for an all year outdoor lifestyle. The centre is full of Outdoor Gear shops staffed with enthusiasts and the area boasts many outdoor activity centres. Everyone is here for the sport, the beauty and the lifestyle.
For the visitor it means they can do virtually anything and everything, either on their own or with expert instruction. And in the evening, there is are plenty of good pubs and restaurants - and frequent festivals.
Then there is the other side to Aviemore's popularity - Steam Trains, Wildlife Parks, Folk Museums, Off-road driving, Carting and Sled Dogs! There are numerous child orientated activities, the Funhouse, Landmark's water slides and tree top walkways, - and of course the fantastic Funicular Railway - taking skiers to the top of the mountain, where everyone, all year round, can enjoy breathtaking scenery - and its fun!
The only downside to all this - there has to be one - is that Aviemore itself isn't pretty. It lacks those old stone buildings and scenic village centres. Aviemore is dominated by big hotels, dubious architecture and new housing. But conscious of the lack of beauty, set within such a stunning National Park, the locals are proud and are making changes.
Aviemore has had a chequered history and was much maligned in the past. Now its looking quite vibrant and is about to undergo a major new development. Come and see for yourself!
After reading my Aviemore Tips, I recommend reading Scotland Travel Tips
- Pros:Location in Cairngorms National Park, Train Station, New Bunkhouse
- Cons:Unattractive shop fronts and dubious architecture
- In a nutshell:Scotland's Outdoor Centre - an adventure playground and access to nature
Whether you walk, climb, cycle, paddle, ski or take the funicular railway, you really should see the world from the... more travel advice
Aviemore is the gateway to the wilderness and beauty of the Cairngorms National Park - because of its great transport... more travel advice
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Aviemore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairngorms National Park - Outdoor Sports"
- "A base to see things from"
- "Something new, different"
- "Wee Aviemore"
- "Popular with skiers and climbers"
- "Aviemore in January."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aviemore
- Hotels in Aviemore
- Transportation in Aviemore
- Restaurants in Aviemore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aviemore
- 9 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Aviemore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aviemore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos