"Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View" Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh by scotlandscotour
Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,816 reviews and 8,171 photos
Edinburgh Travel - Oh Edinburgh - so much to see. This is what to do:
Allow 2 days for Edinburgh, stay sober and get up early to see the Castle before the crowds.
Then head up Arthur's Seat (to reach this entails walking down the Royal Mile and past Holyrood Palace. Then up steeply to the volcanic top and views of Edinburgh. Brilliant, if breathtaking (literally). Take water and a picnic and warm clothes.
Spend the evening relaxing in bars, cinemas, restaurants - your choice, but ensure you walk around the city by night (floodlit castle, Scott Monument in Princes Street Gardens etc).
Next day devote to the National Museum of Scotland, maybe one or two Galleries (weather / attention span?), and exploring side streets and alleys, like Grassmarket, maybe browsing the shops.
Energetic folk could walk to the Botanic Gardens and sunbathe in beautiful, calm surroundings, or you can get a bus to the Docks and see how we subsidised the Royal Family with the Ship "Brittania", the Queen's official transport, now a tourist trap down in Leith.
Be careful in Leith at night, and most outlying areas to tell the truth.
There! Now head over the Forth Road Bridge, taking photos of the Railway Bridge. Now Scotland really begins!!!
"Edinburgh - One of the western world's most interesting, historical and yet vibrant cities (sometimes). It is unique, with it's architecture and history, festivals and much else of Scotland. It also has its dark and squalid side, its drunks and drug addicts, filth and traffic, tourist traps and great inequality. If you plan ahead it can be wonderful, but remember - Scotland isn't just Edinburgh".
After reading my Edinburgh Tips, I recommend reading my Scotland Travel Tips
Before Rachel met me, she explored Edinburgh.
To get her perspective, fresh from America, read Bluewoad
- Pros:Castle, Royal Mile, Volcanoes, Cobbled Streets, Festival, Museum, Arthur's Seat - the volcano in the city
- Cons:Too many tourists in summer, diesel fumes, cocky Scots, beggars, drunks, brewery smells
- In a nutshell:Scotland, at its best (and worst). Fantastic, unique and the best of the UK but ... allow 2 days then head for the countryside and fresh air.
My wife and I were left stranded in Edinburgh on 31st December, when our bus failed to show up. We had paid in advance... more travel advice
visit Grassmarket, just down off the Royal Mile, below George IV Bridge, for a cosmopolitan atmosphere, lively bars and... more travel advice
- See All Small, Elite, Exclusive, Backpackers -...
- Edinburgh Accommodation During Festival...
- See All Good Food in a Nice Bar - Good Eating...
- See All The Millenium Clock - Royal Museum -...
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Edinburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
- "Scotland's Capital City"
- "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- "EDINBURGH, A PICTURESQUE CITY"
- "A guide to Edinburgh dining & nightlife"
- "Edinburgh - the capital of Scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edinburgh
- Hotels in Edinburgh
- Transportation in Edinburgh
- Nightlife in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Shopping in Edinburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Edinburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edinburgh
- 68 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Edinburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edinburgh
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Commented on one of tashka's Edinburgh travel pages
- Wrote a Review Megabus Fails To Show Up in Edinburgh Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Megabus Fails To Show Up"
- updated a Edinburgh Travel Page "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
Photos in EdinburghSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos