"Fort William - Foot of Ben Nevis" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort William by scotlandscotour
Fort William Travel Guide: 211 reviews and 382 photos
Fort William Town is getting better but it is still a fairly drab and unattractive place - which would be bypassed except for a few major attractions and its strategic location.
The town centre has little charm, though some may find its tourist shops and rough decor interesting. It cannot be called pretty.
Worst for me it the dual carriageway that bypasses the town but cuts it off from the water - reducing the whole waterfront to an eyesore.
Despite my problems with the town itself, the location, in Lochaber is superb, though in summer over run by tourists.
Ben Nevis - The highest summit in Scotland
Glen Nevis - delightfully beautiful valley
Road to the Isles - The road to Malaig, west of FW - superb, as long as you don't crash (see my tips!)
Rail and Coach links to Glasgow, Inverness and Isle of Skye - and the superb steam train to Mallaig (Harry Potter).
West Highland Way - northern end (starts Glasgow and meanders via Loch Lomond and Glencoe into "Fort Bill")
Glencoe - breathtaking wild valley steeped in history - south of "Fort Bill"
Nevis Range - Mountain Centre - Winter skiing, summer downhill biking and a scenic gondola ride.
Great Glen - Canals linking lochs to Inverness. Neptune's staircase lock gates enables boats to skip the treacherous sea voyage around north coast. Leads to Fort Augustus and Loch Ness.
The town remains disappointing, despite the huge benefit of a pedestrianised High Street.
Fort William has however tons of accommodation, B&Bs, hostels, campsites and hotels.
Crannog Seafood Restaurant
Bars and Tourist Shops
Outdoor Equipment Shops
Railway and Coach Station
Tiny Cinema at Tourist Info.
The Worst Chip Shop in My Memory
After reading my Fort William Tips, I recommend reading Scotland Travel Tips
- Pros:Location and Rail / Coach Links, Accommodation, Basic Shops, Ben Nevis, Glen Nevis, Outdoor Sports
- Cons:Rubbish Accommodation, Unattractive, Tourist Tat, Poor Failities, Ugly Town,
- In a nutshell:A Resource Centre & Regional Focus - But Ugly
The Steam Train from Fort William to Mallaig (Ferry to Isle of Skye) is the star of Harry Potter. The scenery is... more travel advice
If you have an accident near Fort William you are, in one way, lucky! The local hospital is well staffed and equiped... more travel advice
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Fort William Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort William - touristy town in highlands"
- "A home away from home"
- "Under Ben Nevis"
- "Fort William - Foot of Ben Nevis"
- "In the Shadow of the Ben..."
- "The highlands in the winter"
- "Fort William and the Ben Nevis range"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort William
- Hotels in Fort William
- Transportation in Fort William
- Nightlife in Fort William
- Restaurants in Fort William
- Shopping in Fort William
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort William
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort William
- 8 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Fort William?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort William
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Commented on one of frank_delargy's Fort William travel pages
- updated a Fort William Travel Page "Fort William - Foot of Ben Nevis"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Harry Potter - Hogwarts Express - Steam Train!"
- Wrote a Review The Road To the Isles - Towards Malaig & Skye in Fort William Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos