"Glasgow Travel Tips - Scotland's Only "Real" City" Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow by scotlandscotour
Glasgow Travel Guide: 1,308 reviews and 2,405 photos
Glasgow Travel Tips - You must experience Glasgow to understand Scotland and the Scottish people.
This is a typical, if unattractive, view of a Scottish street. To explain this street-scape ...
1) The yellow taxi is unusual, normally being black, so I did the city a favour photographing this one!
2) To the left is an IKEA truck - those wonderful Swedish furnishings that look great and fall apart, luckily before your friends come round to discover you have exactly the same stuff as them. IKEA has now reached Scotland, but sadly is still a novelty for the deprived shoppers. (Where is regional identity and local crafts?)
3) SPT is the underground train system and this is Hillhead station. The Glasgow underground is tiny compared with the better known London tube, and I felt like Gulliver down there!
4) Iceland is a nationwide frozen food store, aimed at the working class. Not the country (the source of many jokes in Britain - "I'm going to Iceland" variety. Yeh, not funny.
The general sense of messy clutter this picture conveys is typical. The air was smelling of diesel fumes, like every British city. Glasgow reminds me of London or Manchester.
So much or contemporary Scottish culture is actually Glaswegian, I could say "This is the Real Scotland".
This picture is of Byers Road (Hillhead), in the West End of Glasgow, an area detached from the city centre by the University and Kelvingrove Park.
Beer and Potatoes!!!
If ever a picture summed up Scotland's urban centres, it's this one :-)
View Full Size.
If you want to know what a place is really like, best and worst, then read my pages.
The blue box with Scottish saltire on is potatoes - god knows what Scots did before Raleigh brought the spud back from America.
As you can see, the black wheelie bin is definitely in Glasgow!
This is the back yard of a pub, you pass it onthe way into trendy Ashton Lane, but you soon become immune to such scenes as a local, and fail to "see it".
I try to see places with the eye of a visitor.
Donald Dewer died early, but goes down in history as the first "First Minister" of the new Scottish Parliament (in Edinburgh).
He represents much of urban Scotland, especially Glasgow, gentle, intellectual, socialist and crafty. It is sad he died, but in a country plagued by high heart disease and strokes, people should perhaps start to question why most Scots are so damned unfit, why deep fried food, beer and smoking are so common place, and why the "brain drain" continues.
This statue is in the very centre of the city, east end of Sauchiehall Street. His glasses get regularly vandalised, probably late on saturday nights, when the city is transformed by drink, like a person is too. Schizophrenic Glasgow epitomises Scotland's contemporary problems and its charm.
After reading my Glasgow Tips, I really recommend reading Scotland Travel Tips
- Pros:Urban buzz, architecture, city pride, happening place, museums, university and West End
- Cons:wegies, deep fried pizza, diesel fumes, litter, drunks, nasty hostels, traffic, not Edinburgh ;-)
- In a nutshell:Glasgow is more Scottish than Edinburgh and The Highlands - Sadly
A kind of 'warning' and 'transportation' tip: As you can see from my photograph, and the map (website below), the... more travel advice
Thought provoking. Good to look at from the outside, as well as inside. An inspiring place to be. Opened in 1996, and... more travel advice
- See All A Quiet Little Place I Know, Hidden Away...
- See All Glasgow Central Station - Busy Main...
- Avoid Streets West Of Central Station at...
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Glasgow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glasgow Travel Tips - Scotland's Only "Real" City"
- "Keeping up Appearances"
- "City location"
- "Glasgow - Culture and Modernity"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glasgow
- Hotels in Glasgow
- Transportation in Glasgow
- Nightlife in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Shopping in Glasgow
- Warnings and Dangers in Glasgow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glasgow
- 28 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Glasgow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glasgow
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- updated a Glasgow Travel Page "Glasgow Travel Tips - Scotland's Only "Real" City"
- Commented on one of Rojo72's Glasgow travel pages
- Wrote a Review The M8 Motorway Cutting Glasgow In Two about walk/explore in Glasgow Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gardens - Go Enjoy The Botanical Gardens, West End"
Photos in GlasgowSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos