"Inverness Travel Tips - Loch Ness - Worth One Day" Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness by scotlandscotour
Inverness Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 815 photos
I like Inverness, now after years, and having lived there for a year. Yet I can still remember my disappointment - no "shock" at how dirty, drab and unattractive it was.
It has its really wonderful spots (the Ness Islands Walk with suspension footbridges joining wooded islands across the River Ness) but in general it is a bit of a let down.
Inverness is the main town supplying the Highland region, so has large industrial parks and a very practical feel, not beauty. This is compounded by its recent growth and by horrendous concrete architecture by the River.
Sad but true.
It is also busy with tourists, and the B&B, hotel and hostel trade is busy, so I have not detected "the laws of competition" bringing about value for money.
Use Inverness for what it is - a refueling and provisions stop and a base for resourcing better areas.
Ignore the "castle" - it is new. The original castle has long gone. Good for photographs of the River - but have no misconceptions about castles - this is not one of them!
If you are to look at Loch Ness, drive on the "south side". Only drive the north side if motoring to Fort William or Skye. Even then, consider the quiet south side.
Culloden Battlefield. Very popular because of its significance, NOT because of beauty! Good cafe and visitor stuff there (National Trust of Scotland) but unless you are really into historical battles / tracing ancestors, its not that impressive.
The small (and free) museum behind the Tourist Infomation Office is worth an hour for sure - its a good, bite sized intro to Highland life and natural history.
If staying in Inverness, its worth checking out whats playing (independent film cinema and theatre / music etc) at the Eden Court Theatre. Also close by there is the good Swimming Pool and Leisure Centre with Climbing Wall.
A number of bars now have live bands - responding to the huge influx of tourists. Inverness is well provided by hostels, so is popular for a "night out" / heavy drinking.
This is the best way to see Inverness, on foot:
From the Town Hall (look up at the lovely architecture and ignore the gaudy MacDonalds opposite) and nearby Tourist Information Centre (particularly friendly staff in this one) walk downhill to the River, but don't cross.
Turn left and walk upstream, with the water on your right hand side. Pass the white suspension bridge and continue to a second, smaller bridge, which then takes you via lovely wooded islands across the river.
Once across the river, turn right and head downstream (river still to your right). Again ignore the white suspension bridge. Optional stop in Eden Court to check out events for evening, and or a cup of tea!
Continue alongside river past the main bridge (traffic) and carry along until you reach another footbridge, which you cross to get back to City Centre.
Note: There are a number of tasty restaurants, tapas bars and a lovely second hand book store in an old church - with cafe, spiral stairs and wood burning stove).
*More about this in My Inverness Tips* and see Bluewoad.
- Pros:Eden Court Theatre & Cinema, Music Bars, River Ness, Bookshop, Provisions Shopping
- Cons:Loch Ness, Hotels, Culloden, Castle, Dirty and Nothing Like the Highlands!!!
- In a nutshell:Useful Regional Centre, hard to avoid but not an "Attraction"
What to Expect: The Inverness economy is growing, and with the Scottish Executive (government) relocating many... more travel advice
Cigerette smoke in the only communal / eating room I have to say, though this place isn't dreadful, its the one most... more travel advice
- By Far the Most Common Tourist Trap in...
- See All New and Trying Hard - Nearly There, But...
- Cinemas - Inverness has two - and poles...
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Inverness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "With both feet on the ground in Inverness"
- "Inverness - Near Loch Ness"
- "Inverness Travel Tips - Loch Ness - Worth One Day"
- "Circumnavigating Scotland"
- "Inching Through Inverness"
- "Visit Inverness"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inverness
- Hotels in Inverness
- Transportation in Inverness
- Nightlife in Inverness
- Restaurants in Inverness
- Shopping in Inverness
- Warnings and Dangers in Inverness
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Inverness
- 13 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Inverness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inverness
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos