"Perth Travel Tips - Perth Scotland - "Perthshire"" Top 5 Page for this destination Perth by scotlandscotour
Perth Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 174 photos
Perth: Travel Tips for Beautiful Scotland
- Perth, 40 miles north of Edinburgh, is really where Scotland began, but its too modest a place to promote it, or sell itself to tourism.
Perth is a significant place, that grew up as a town on the River Tay, a historic port, meeting place and former "capital", where Kings started the Scottish Nation. A place where later Kings met, were "assassinated" and religious plots began. It prospered as a dynamic medieval trading and commercial centre - and remains busy but modest today.
With most historic sites marked by plaques, because they have been built upon by later occupiers (even these later buildings are 'old' and very appealing), no-one thinks to talk of the significance of Perth.
However, because the site lies close to the river, waterlogged soil has preserved medieval remains in superb condition - and Perth is an archaeologist's delight. Each time a new building was erected an archeaological dig unearthed evidence of lifestyles, trade and fashion of national significance. There may not be much remaining on the surface, but a walk around Perth is, with a little imagination, like stepping back in time. The streets still follow the medieval grid pattern giving a real 'sense' of history. Alley ways and names reveal it past - Skinnergate, Cut Log Vennel, Mercat cross.
Today, Perth is charming, unassuming, relaxing, fascinating and full of interesting places, but you have to go looking for it, because Perth and its people don't show off.
Perthshire encompasses most of the catchment area of the River Tay. This area is therefore also called Tayside (beside the Tay). Have a look at my Tayside Page for places to see close by.
After reading my Perth & TaysideTips, I recommend reading my Scotland Travel Tips
News! - G8 Summit 2005 coming to Gleneagles - Perthshire!
In addition to all my tips and photographs - See www.perthshireg8.com for detailed information and pictures! (The banner photos on this site refresh - it's the best photo overview of Perthshire you'll ever see).
The original 'seat of power', the Stone of Destiny is a cut block of granite (now securely housed in Edinburgh Castle) upon which the early Kings were throned.
The history surrounding the Stone, the myths and the grounds of Scone Palace (modern construct on the site of original Abbey) are well worth exploring.
Look at www.scone-palace.net
The Centre of Perth is small and cosy, relaxed and a delight to explore. Many shops are still small, family run and unique (if more expensive than huge stores) - giving a comfortable, if sleepy and unhurried feel.
This picture was taken after the shops had closed, to avoid pictures of people, so you can see the architecture and the "mood".
*See my tips for many more pictures and useful information.
- Pros:Central location, beautiful city, gateway to Highlands, no tourists!
- Cons:Lacks budget hostels and all that tourists bring
- In a nutshell:Perthshire is where Scotland really began. Its more than a 'place'
Perthshire has many good places to stay, with many different styles and prices, from exclusive hotels and travel lodges,... more travel advice
A real castle, fun and fascinating, small and little known but very enjoyable - in a beautiful setting - all the more... more travel advice
- See All Tourist Signs & Derelict Church -...
- Perth Shops Easy - All Within 5 minutes...
- See All Ancient Route Way - certainly a beaten...
- See All The Biggest Hedge in the World
- Tourist Information Centre - City Mill...
- See All First Impressions - Modern Houses Sprout...
- See All Indian Food is Great in Scotland
- See All Perth Coach Station - view from inside
- See All Perth Nightclub - The Ice Factory
Been to Perth?Share your travels with the world!
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Perth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perth Travel Tips - Perth Scotland - "Perthshire""
- "Wonderful Perthshire"
- "Perth and Kinross"
- "Perth - Gateway to the Highlands"
- "The Fair City"
- "Scotland, Perth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Perth
- Hotels in Perth
- Transportation in Perth
- Nightlife in Perth
- Restaurants in Perth
- Shopping in Perth
- Warnings and Dangers in Perth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Perth
- 42 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Perth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perth
Photos in PerthSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos