Isle of Skye Tourist Trap Tips by scotlandscotour Top 5 Page for this destination
Isle of Skye Tourist Traps: 2 reviews and 0 photos
"Aros" is one of the few places to go on a wet or midgie day (many) and can leave a bitter taste!
The centre pupports to have displays and exhibitions about the Sea Eagles and Highland Clearances / Life on Skye, which it does - just about.
It costs £4 per adult and isn't worth a penny. It should be free, with donations and the revenue from the cafe & souvenire shop on site. A 12 minute slide show of aerial pictures of Skye and a man from the RSPB (Society for Bird Protection) chatting at images on a TV screen image of Eagles nest prior to selling membership (approx £26 pounds!) isn't worth £4 pounds stirling.
Aros is a 10 minute walk from centre of Portree, south on road to Sligachan / Kyle. Its the first place you'll see on arriving in Portree.
Unique Suggestions: Access to the toilets and shop is free. Food in the cafe is quite ok, and the centre has film showings and concerts (well worth going to, as an alternative to smoky, crowded pubs / bars). Walks in woods are also free, but of very limited appeal, unless the lack of trees on Skye is "getting to you".
Fun Alternatives: Get a book about the Highland Clearances, research for free on the internet and travel around Skye for real - you'll see and understand better by being there - and be £4 better off.
More Reviews (23)
- See All Skye Bridge - Toll - CANCELLED
- See All Secret Caves - Access Only At Low Tide
- See All Skye Bridge - Toll - Love it or Hate It...
- Day light until 11pm in Summer
- Supermarkets - Few and Far Between.
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Isle of Skye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flaite do'n Eilean Sgitheanach"
- "ISLE of SKYE"
- "An t-Eilean -- The Island"
- "Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Scotland Travel Secrets"
- "Over The Sea To Skye"
- "The Skye legend"
- "Magical Isle of Skye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Skye
- Hotels in Isle of Skye
- Transportation in Isle of Skye
- Nightlife in Isle of Skye
- Restaurants in Isle of Skye
- Shopping in Isle of Skye
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Skye
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saba Hotels
- York Hotels
- Kukup Hotels
- Batu Lanchang Lama Hotels
- Laguna Beach Tourist Traps
- Surabaya Tourist Traps
- West Edmonton Mall
- Phoenix Tourist Traps
- Eating & drinking
- Bali Tourist Traps
- Antwerp Tourist Traps
- New York State Tourist Traps
- Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
- Provincia de Puerto Plata Tourist Traps
- Comunidad Valenciana Tourist Traps
- Shenandoah National Park Tourist Traps
Badges & Stats in Isle of Skye
- 24 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Isle of Skye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Skye
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- updated a Isle of Skye Travel Page "Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Scotland Travel Secrets"
- Commented on one of new_hope30's Isle of Skye travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Skye Bridge - Toll - CANCELLED"
- Wrote a Review Skye Bridge - Toll - CANCELLED in Isle of Skye Transportation
Photos in Isle of SkyeSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
Latest Isle of Skye hotel reviews
- Carters Rest Guesthouse
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013