"Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Scotland Travel Secrets" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye by scotlandscotour

Isle of Skye Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 904 photos

Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Explore Isle of Skye

The Isle of Skye can be magic - it can be good or bad but follow my advice and it will be special, a place of romance, mystery, wilderness and beauty. Just be prepared for rain and midges, hmmm.

So, I met Rachel on Skye, last summer. We are now married! You are welcome to see photographs of our unconventional wedding - see Blue Woad. We now live in the Orkney Islands in north east Scotland - and I earnestly suggest anyone thinking of exploring Scotland looks into visiting Orkney. We have lived and worked in both places, and given the problems of weather, midges and "things to see and do", Orkney has many advantages. We still like Skye but Orkney is something else again.

Bridge Toll Removed!
2005 - the bridge toll has been removed - but the ferry is still best :-)

I will leave most of my photos out - others have covered most of the "must see" places. I will slowly add pictures where I think they offer something different or helpful.

Instead I will write, to try and convey what pictures never can (fully), the FEEL of being on Skye. Also, I will be adding tips and warnings because Skye has its problems, as you'll find out. If I do my job this will be before you visit!!

NOTE: Also see the Mainland of Scotland close to Skye, such as Applecross, Torridon and Glen Elg areas - in many ways more beautiful, varied, accessible and rich in history. More info to follow.

After reading my Isle of Skye Tips, I recommend reading Scotland Travel Tips

• Pros:Cuillin Mountains, Coastline, Trotternish, Cottages, Accessable and Popular
  • Cons:Bridge destroys much of the island feel, many tourists, midgies, few wet weather options, too many tour buses whizzing round with swarms of backpackers
  • In a nutshell:Hit good weather and you'll fall in love - bad weather and you're miserable. Its like Brigadoon. It's up to you what 'good' and 'bad' are!!
  • Last visit to Isle of Skye: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2005

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I'd love to see more pictures.... I love these islands, the Faroe Islands have been my ultimate holiday destination!!

• Mar 10, 2008 at 10:57 AM

We fell in love with Trotternish during our last visits toSkye. This year, we´ll stay right there for three weeks in May . And we hardly can wait to start!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 2:54 AM

Hi again Malcolm :-) Looks like our plans for Scotland this August are becoming more solid & definite, yipiiih! Loved your tips and insights. The colour in your photos is amazing! Greetings from the desert / Jess

• May 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM

I think your comments about the locals drinking too much are misleading, judgemental and pompous. Could you tell me what town in Britain isn't full wild and antisocial drunks late at night on a weekend? I think this problem extends far further than Skye.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 8:23 AM

I hope you and Rachel find a wonderful new and creative ways to celebrate your upcoming Birthday. Best Wishes. Jill

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 8:53 PM

Hello Malcolm! Skye looks so beautiful. Must get there one day. Happy birthday from Finland!

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 12:55 PM

We loved the northern part of Skye also. Check out my photo on my Scotland page. The road was a little scary, and there were sheep on it everywhere! Florida999

• huwhit's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2005 at 4:13 AM

That is such good news about the bridge toll!! It was such a pain in the backside! I love Skye, I went there so many times to escape Edinburgh when living in that amazing city last year!

• lnalba's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2005 at 11:06 AM

Hi, thanks for the comments about my Orkney pages. I was reading your Skye pages as I was there a few weeks ago. Took heaps of photos, but you're right, they can't do justice to the experience of being there in that amazing scenery. Great tips!

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 9:54 AM

Great tips again -- especially the warnings -- thank you.

scotlandscotour

“Explore gently ... with all you senses ... feel at home, where ever you may be! :-)”

Badges & Stats in Isle of Skye

Have you been to Isle of Skye?