"Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Scotland Travel Secrets" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye by scotlandscotour
Isle of Skye Travel Guide: 441 reviews and 879 photos
The Isle of Skye can be magic - it can be good or bad but follow my advice and it will be special, a place of romance, mystery, wilderness and beauty. Just be prepared for rain and midges, hmmm.
So, I met Rachel on Skye, last summer. We are now married! You are welcome to see photographs of our unconventional wedding - see Blue Woad. We now live in the Orkney Islands in north east Scotland - and I earnestly suggest anyone thinking of exploring Scotland looks into visiting Orkney. We have lived and worked in both places, and given the problems of weather, midges and "things to see and do", Orkney has many advantages. We still like Skye but Orkney is something else again.
Bridge Toll Removed!
2005 - the bridge toll has been removed - but the ferry is still best :-)
I will leave most of my photos out - others have covered most of the "must see" places. I will slowly add pictures where I think they offer something different or helpful.
Instead I will write, to try and convey what pictures never can (fully), the FEEL of being on Skye. Also, I will be adding tips and warnings because Skye has its problems, as you'll find out. If I do my job this will be before you visit!!
NOTE: Also see the Mainland of Scotland close to Skye, such as Applecross, Torridon and Glen Elg areas - in many ways more beautiful, varied, accessible and rich in history. More info to follow.
After reading my Isle of Skye Tips, I recommend reading Scotland Travel Tips
- Pros:Cuillin Mountains, Coastline, Trotternish, Cottages, Accessable and Popular
- Cons:Bridge destroys much of the island feel, many tourists, midgies, few wet weather options, too many tour buses whizzing round with swarms of backpackers
- In a nutshell:Hit good weather and you'll fall in love - bad weather and you're miserable. Its like Brigadoon. It's up to you what 'good' and 'bad' are!!
Skye Bridge Toll is Cancelled The toll ended December 2004 - it is now free to cross the bridge. See www.skat.org.uk... more travel advice
Remote and very cute cottage. Red post box Red phone box Lots of sky, rough pasture, open and inviting hills, open roads... more travel advice
- See All Secret Caves - Access Only At Low Tide
- Day light until 11pm in Summer
- Supermarkets - Few and Far Between.
- Kyleakin Hostels On Skye - Try Dun Caan
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Isle of Skye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flaite do'n Eilean Sgitheanach"
- "ISLE of SKYE"
- "An t-Eilean -- The Island"
- "Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Scotland Travel Secrets"
- "Over The Sea To Skye"
- "The Skye legend"
- "Magical Isle of Skye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Skye
- Hotels in Isle of Skye
- Transportation in Isle of Skye
- Nightlife in Isle of Skye
- Restaurants in Isle of Skye
- Shopping in Isle of Skye
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Skye
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Isle of Skye
- 24 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Isle of Skye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Skye
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- updated a Isle of Skye Travel Page "Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Scotland Travel Secrets"
- Commented on one of new_hope30's Isle of Skye travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Skye Bridge - Toll - CANCELLED"
- Wrote a Review Skye Bridge - Toll - CANCELLED in Isle of Skye Transportation
Photos in Isle of SkyeSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (107)
Latest Isle of Skye hotel reviews
- Carters Rest Guesthouse
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013