"Stromness - Orkney's Second Town But The Prettiest" Stromness by scotlandscotour
Stromness Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 53 photos
Stromness is often the first place you see on Orkney - the main ferry from Scrabster (Thurso) comes in here.
It's a really pretty setting in the sheltered harbour called Hamnavoe, obviously a prized maritime shelter since before Viking times. The perfect setting for a town, on the sloping land above the bay.
Stromness town stole my heart in the first five minutes - it is like stepping back in time a few hundred years to a time before when high streets were ruined by neon signs and corporate brand names.
Stromness has a higgledy-piggledy street, never quite straight for long, meandering along, with old fashioned shop windows and a paved street. The people are so friendly it hurts, to leave.
Whether you are arriving, leaving or just popping into town - spend a few hours at least, exploring the narrow alley ways and stepped passages, the delightful harbour and views.
The town has good accommodation, eating and drinking places, a lively community and many crafts folk - so give it some time - it'll repay you!
Winter Shelter in Stromness
During winter storms the houses huddle and brace against the winds with their gable ends into the harbour and leaving only narrow gaps, through which the wind howls. The high street is generally very sheltered - like being in a tunnel or channel running parrallel to the coast. Only at these gaps do you get a sense for how wild it is out at sea, and scary with the awesome power of nature.
Even the boats in the harbour need tying up tightly as they jostle and strain on ropes like frightened horses.
In the sanctuary of the High Street the wind may whistle and howl but you feel safe, the pub lights glow and the sound of music and laughter caresses you, luring you into its cosy warmth.
To experience this helps you imagine life in the clustered villages like Scara Brae or the Brochs - huddled down, cosy and communal.
I don't think too much has changed on Orkney, judging by Stromness in winter - thankfully!
Back to Orkney Must See Tips
Or back to Orkney Home Page
- Pros:The most charming harbour, winding narrow streets, old fashioned shops, bars and the ferry from Scrabster (by Thurso, Scotland)
- Cons:Uninspiring B&Bs and Hostel closed, loses out to the bigger town - Kirkwakk
- In a nutshell:We chose to live hear - which says a lot (you'll understand if you read my tips and observations of Scotland)
To really get a sense of the energy and mood of Orkney life, spend a night there in the midst of a howling winter... more travel advice
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Stromness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stromness - Orkney's Second Town But The Prettiest"
- "Stromness - mainland Orkneys"
- "Nice and quiet by the seaside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stromness
- Hotels in Stromness
- Transportation in Stromness
- Restaurants in Stromness
- Warnings and Dangers in Stromness
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stromness
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Stromness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stromness
- updated a Stromness Travel Page "Stromness - Orkney's Second Town But The Prettiest"
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Wrote a Review Always Busy in Stromness Restaurants
- Commented on one of Asa111's Stromness travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stromness - Orkney's Second Town But The Prettiest"
Photos in StromnessSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos