"Highlands and Islands of Scotland" Highland by scotlandscotour
Highland Travel Guide: 1,696 reviews and 4,235 photos
The Island is dominated by the severe and rugged Cuillin Mountains, but to the north of the island is the Trotternish Peninsular, with stunning views over the waters and charming cottages scattered over the grass.
Here is the "village" of Staffin, on the East Coast of Trotternish.
At the end of a perfect March day, in the remote beauty of Wester Ross (NW Highlands) we were rewarded with this tranquil light.
It doesn't come out in the picture, but I tried.
The weather was mild, after a week of Snow, and we had the place to ourselves!
To find this area on a map, its south of the settlement of Ullapool, north of Kyle of Lochalsh.
Best to avoid in summer, due to tourists and midgies.
Ohh, come and enjoy this, off-season, all to yourself.
This area is generally only accessed by road, and if you have a bike - you're in heaven!!!
I'll try to get tips on getting to the area and where to stay etc.
If its a choice between here or Inverness / Loch Ness - do please come here.
This picture is just north of Gairloch.
Important places to not miss:
Glencoe and Rannoch Moor
Torridon & Applecross
Ullapool & NW Coast
Cairngorms National Park
Trossachs National Park
Isle of Arran
Isle of Skye & Glenelg
See Map of Scotland
After reading my Highland Tips, I recommend reading Scotland Travel Tips
- Pros:fresh air, wild open space and rich history - explore!
- Cons:Tourist traps in summer season, and weather changeable
- In a nutshell:More than the sum of its parts - its magic!
Eat in a relaxed and sociable way, no rush, no booking, no annoying neighbour smoking, no extortionate costs for poorly... more travel advice
Beware! It can be exhausting driving these narrow roads for hundreds of kilometers / miles. 1) Remember in Britain you... more travel advice
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Highland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favorite part of Scotland"
- "A Journey Back Through Time"
- "From Argyll To Sutherland"
- "The Highlands - The true essence of Scotland"
- "On and Mostly Off the Road in the Highlands"
- "Highlands and Islands of Scotland"
- "The highlands - the true scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Highland
- Hotels in Highland
- Transportation in Highland
- Nightlife in Highland
- Restaurants in Highland
- Shopping in Highland
- Warnings and Dangers in Highland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Highland
- 66 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Highland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Highland
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Commented on one of scotlandscotour's Highland travel pages
- updated a Highland Travel Page "Highlands and Islands of Scotland"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fresh and Delicious Food, Every Time!"
- Wrote a Review Fresh and Delicious Food, Every Time! in Highland Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos