"Highlands and Islands of Scotland" Highland by scotlandscotour

Highland Travel Guide: 1,679 reviews and 4,172 photos

Isle of Skye

The Island is dominated by the severe and rugged Cuillin Mountains, but to the north of the island is the Trotternish Peninsular, with stunning views over the waters and charming cottages scattered over the grass.

Here is the "village" of Staffin, on the East Coast of Trotternish.

Wester Ross - Torridon Nature Reserve

At the end of a perfect March day, in the remote beauty of Wester Ross (NW Highlands) we were rewarded with this tranquil light.
It doesn't come out in the picture, but I tried.
The weather was mild, after a week of Snow, and we had the place to ourselves!
To find this area on a map, its south of the settlement of Ullapool, north of Kyle of Lochalsh.
Best to avoid in summer, due to tourists and midgies.

West Coast of Scotland in Winter

Ohh, come and enjoy this, off-season, all to yourself.
This area is generally only accessed by road, and if you have a bike - you're in heaven!!!
I'll try to get tips on getting to the area and where to stay etc.

If its a choice between here or Inverness / Loch Ness - do please come here.

This picture is just north of Gairloch.

Important places to not miss:
Glencoe and Rannoch Moor
Argyle
Glen Affric

See Map of Scotland

After reading my Highland Tips, I recommend reading Scotland Travel Tips

• Pros:fresh air, wild open space and rich history - explore!
  • Cons:Tourist traps in summer season, and weather changeable
  • In a nutshell:More than the sum of its parts - its magic!
  • Last visit to Highland: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2004

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Glen Coe, Arran, Cuillin for the mountains, Mull and Jura for the family and Islay for the you know what for me. Thanks for your tips on the West.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 2:59 AM

Some very helpful tips. Are off to Mull in Aug. so must get the motorhome fully midge-proofed!!!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 11:37 PM

Most useful tips about driving in the Highlands. Having driven from Tongue down to LAirg, I know. My father and daughter were sh......! Quiet, no cars, me getting over confident ,speeding round the bends, then a tractor-. Thank God for passing places....

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Interesting looking at it now in hindsight.

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 3:36 PM

Very, very nice page. I really like it! One day I have to visit this wonderful place!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 10:40 AM

Such lovely country to explore. You are so lucky! Oh, the Stone Circle site looks so interesting. Thanks for sharing!!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 2:11 AM

Thanks for so likable written tips and stunning photos of Highland. I hope I'll visit Scotland one day.

• GypsyLightChaser's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2005 at 9:15 PM

Very Nice. I want to go to Scotland and find my Ancestors the photos are nice. Wish I was there right now.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 3:03 AM

A really excellent page Malcolm! This is the type of area that I would love to explore, and I enjoy a good driving challenge too! I thought your BBQ tip is a fantastic idea and thanks for the hostel info as well. Beautiful pics.

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 7:59 AM

Hey Malcolm, another great page. The stone circle loocs cool. And your tips are soooo detailed. I love to read them. It makes me feel like I am almost there :)))

scotlandscotour

“Explore gently ... with all you senses ... feel at home, where ever you may be! :-)”

Badges & Stats in Highland

Have you been to Highland?