"Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary" Healesville by HarShe
Healesville Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 105 photos
Two species of kangaroos are resident in the "Grasslands" exhibit - Eastern Grey and the Kangaroo Island Kangaroos. Kangaroos have a unique reproductive system; while a joey is growing in the pouch the mother can carry a fertilised egg which will start to develop as soon as the joey leaves the pouch. During times of drought a female can delay the growth of an embryo. The tail of the kangaroo provides balance when travelling at high speeds and support when the animal is stationary.
More info at : Healesville
Koalas are found only down the east coast of Australia. They sleep in the forks of trees most of the day and feed on various types of eucalypt leaves at night. Because eucalypt leaves have a high water content, koalas rarely need to drink. Males are highly vocal and have a scent gland on their chest, particularly during the breeding season. A marsupial, the female raises one young in the pouch each year.
The wombat, the closest living relative to the koala, is the largest burrowing marsupial in Australia weighing up to 40 kilograms. Many orphaned and injured wombats are brought to the Sanctuary each year.
Each day between 11.00am and 3.30pm (4.30pm weekends) you can meet a resident orphan wombat and learn more about this popular animal from the keeper.
- In a nutshell:see Australian native animals in one place
Healesville Sanctuary's Birds of Prey Presentation was launched over ten years ago and since then has become one of the... more travel advice
HarShe's Related Pages
Healesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Healesville Sanctuary in Yarra Valley"
- "HEALESVILLE ANIMAL SANCTUARY"
- "Healesville : Base for Yarra Valley Wine Touring"
- "Animal Sanctuary"
- "Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary"
- "Healesville Camp Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Healesville
- Hotels in Healesville
- Transportation in Healesville
- Restaurants in Healesville
- Warnings and Dangers in Healesville
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Healesville
- 3 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Healesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Healesville
Photos in HealesvilleSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Healesville Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 3 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Coldstream Intro, 2 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Akaroa Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Paris Intro, 3 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Queenstown Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Franz Josef Glacier Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos