"Muiden" Top 5 Page for this destination Muiden by beetlebummer

Muiden Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 76 photos

Muiderslot

I went crazy here. Well....crazy snapping the pictures of this amazing castle, The Muiderslot castle. It's just gorgeous! To date this is the second castle that i've managed to catch while in Europe. (The first one was in Bedburg-Hau, Germany.) Again, Uncle Farid surprised me with this trip. (Knowing that I'm crazy about castles...) But to our dissapoinment, the castle was closed to visitors on that day...I think it was a weekend or something. (So for those who don't want to end up like me, dissapointed... please do check the opening hours of the castle before visiting.) Lucky for us, there were some students doing some research projects....so we managed to sneak in...hehehe! Nevertheless, I was so contented just getting that close to the castle....for real!

The Muiderslot Castle

This castle sits at the entrance to the Isselmeer harbour thus enabling it to control all the boats coming in and out, and so at the same time giving it a very good view. It ws originally built to control the mouth of the river Vecht into the former Zuidersea. The castle was never used as the house of a nobleman. It was only inhabited by a bailiff and used as a courthouse and state prison. It is now converted into a museum.

The herb garden

Right in front of the castle, is a herb garden. The cool thing about this garden is that, its pathways are spread with sea shells....cool!

• Last visit to Muiden: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2004

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 10:16 PM

I shall not, I repeat NOT wear heels. hehehe. Grand photos!

beetlebummer

“One day, I'll own my own backpackers hostel. Insya Allah!”

Badges & Stats in Muiden