"Nieuwpoort" Nieuwpoort by beetlebummer
Nieuwpoort Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 69 photos
From France (see my France page), Nieuwpoort was the first stop once we entered Belgium. This is a follow up from our visit to Dunkerque (well... based on the history of the Nieuwpoort battle, which was of my Uncle Farid's interest).
I was informed that the was a battle that took place in Nieuwpoort in 1600, between the Dutch and the Spanish (which, of course, the Dutch won the battle...). Driving further in, there was this old fort spotted. I think it is a memorial of some sort. (see next picture)
The plaque with the list of names of those defeated in the battle (well again...I think). Drive around and you will see also a graveyard of the soldiers who died during the battle.
Do your research before visiting Nieuwpoort (if your visit is to based on the history of the battle). I believe there... more travel advice
beetlebummer's Related Pages
Nieuwpoort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A different seaside resort"
- "Nieuwpoort, estuary of the IJzer river"
- "Sailing the North Sea"
- "The Belgian coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nieuwpoort
- Hotels in Nieuwpoort
- Transportation in Nieuwpoort
- Warnings and Dangers in Nieuwpoort
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nieuwpoort
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Nieuwpoort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nieuwpoort
Photos in NieuwpoortSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Brugge Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harderwijk Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunkerque Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Batu Pahat Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muiden Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 1 travelogue