"Dunkerque" Dunkerque by beetlebummer
Dunkerque Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 61 photos
Again...this trip to France was courtesy of my Uncle Farid, who, again, drove me all the way to France. This trip, was a surprise as I wasn't informed about it not until I saw the sign boards on the road! It is also my first time in France...yipee! We headed for Dunkerque, an 8th century town, that started off as a simple fishing harbour. It later became infamous as a haven for pirates. This town later, was about 80% destroyed during the World War II. (well...did my research guys...)
Jean Bart is a legendary pirate, born in Dunkerque in 1650. Stories were that he saved the nation from starvation by taking over a convoy of ships with wheat, thus making him well known. He was buried in St. Eloi's church. You can find his statue, however, at the main square.
Initially a watch tower in the thirteenth century, the tower was turned into the steeple of St.Eloi's church, two centuries later. There is a Cenotaphe at the base of the Belfry. It was inaugurated in 1923 as an homage to the victims of the World War I.
Here you can see the 1901 ship, Duchesse of Anne and the 1949 old lightship, Sandettie, that used to be anchored out in... more travel advice
Check out this town map plan just outside the Belfry. It has light up buttons, showing the places of interest in... more travel advice
beetlebummer's Related Pages
Dunkerque Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to funky's new Dunkerque Page"
- "mok's new Dunkerque Page"
- "Rob47's new Dunkerque Page"
- "Thea's Dunkerque Page"
- "powerhand's new Dunkerque page"
- "Dynamo Operation"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dunkerque
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Dunkerque?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dunkerque
Photos in DunkerqueSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Brugge Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harderwijk Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunkerque Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Batu Pahat Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muiden Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 1 travelogue