"Dunkerque" Dunkerque by beetlebummer

Dunkerque Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 61 photos

I've been to France...yeay!

Again...this trip to France was courtesy of my Uncle Farid, who, again, drove me all the way to France. This trip, was a surprise as I wasn't informed about it not until I saw the sign boards on the road! It is also my first time in France...yipee! We headed for Dunkerque, an 8th century town, that started off as a simple fishing harbour. It later became infamous as a haven for pirates. This town later, was about 80% destroyed during the World War II. (well...did my research guys...)

Statue of Jean Bart

Jean Bart is a legendary pirate, born in Dunkerque in 1650. Stories were that he saved the nation from starvation by taking over a convoy of ships with wheat, thus making him well known. He was buried in St. Eloi's church. You can find his statue, however, at the main square.

The Belfry

Initially a watch tower in the thirteenth century, the tower was turned into the steeple of St.Eloi's church, two centuries later. There is a Cenotaphe at the base of the Belfry. It was inaugurated in 1923 as an homage to the victims of the World War I.

• Last visit to Dunkerque: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2004

Travelogues (1)

beetlebummer

“One day, I'll own my own backpackers hostel. Insya Allah!”

Badges & Stats in Dunkerque

Have you been to Dunkerque?

Latest Activity in Dunkerque